I Am Wondering What To Charge For A Cake Like This...

Decorating By macciacae Updated 21 Oct 2009 , 12:19am by CBMom

macciacae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
macciacae Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 3:12am
post #1 of 21

I am wondering what to charge for this cake... What would you charge... It is a buttercream, smoothed, not fondant.

I am just trying to figure out what to charge.

Thanks

If the attachment dosen't open here is the web site http://www.sedonaweddingcakes.com/orginals.htm

It is the 2007 Tlaquepaque Calla Lillies

Thanks once again!!
LL

20 replies
LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 4:40am
post #2 of 21

Do you know if you would be using real calla lillies or gumpaste ones?

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 6:05am
post #3 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBellaFlor

I think the real ones are poisonous, so she should plan on gumpaste or silk.

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 10:47am
post #4 of 21

Depends on how much it cost, and how much profit you want to make.

Mike

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 11:00am
post #5 of 21

I'm guessing anywhere from $3.50 to $4.00 a slice, plus the flowers.

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 12:46pm
post #6 of 21
Quote:

icon_eek.gif You should NEVER use real cala lillies on a cake! They are poisonous!

LaBellaFlor Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 12:55pm
post #7 of 21

I'm glad you guys told me. Do you know how many wedding cakes I have seen with REAL calla lillies?!

CBMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CBMom Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 8:37pm
post #8 of 21

Is that a 6", 10" and a 14" ??

Number of servings x Your charge/serving = Cost

Don't forget to add in delivery, equipment rental, are you getting the silk flowers, or are they, "fancy" fillings, ie, not plain BC, any other costs, and headache charges in your charge/serving. If that's over $4/serving, that's just fine. Whatever works for you.

Headache charges are what I call the 3am cake breakdownsicon_wink.gif

Gorgeous cake! Have fun!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 8:53pm
post #9 of 21
Quote:

I'm glad you guys told me. Do you know how many wedding cakes I have seen with REAL calla lillies?!

I just had 2 brides in the same week tell me they wanted callas on the cake. I informed them both they were poisonous.......the first bride said the florist never said a thing about them being poisonous (the florist was going to put them on the cake for her If I charged for that)...I told her I wouldn't put them on the cake knowing they are toxic.......she was so grateful to me for telling her (and a little miffed at the florist for not telling her)......she said they were having a lot of children at her wedding and she would be horrified at the idea that her cake would make someone ill. I asked her if she didn't mind telling me how much she was paying for 5 callas for the cake (I was trying to figure out her budget for them to see if I could find sugar ones around the same cost for her).......she tells me $56.00 for 5 flowers! yikes! I showed her to a website where she could get 18 sugar ones for less than 20 dollars! She was so thrilled........she said "ooohh, then i'll have extras to go around the cake on the table.......I LOVE You!" lol

I wonder why florists don't know which flowers are toxic.....they're the flower experts right?

mrswendel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrswendel Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 9:09pm
post #10 of 21

One florist that I dealt with told the bride and groom "well, the flowers are only going to be on the cake for a couple of hours...which really isn't enough time to cause any damage. And you know, your cake has that fondant stuff on it and no one eats that part and that's where the flowers will be. Cake people just like to tell you about this stuff so they can charge you more for their sugar ones".
Yeah....that went over well. Needless to say, they went with the sugar ones. icon_smile.gif

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 9:14pm
post #11 of 21

They don't have to know... they just make things that look pretty and don't deal with food type things. Now I personally think thet *should* know, but that's just me.

African Violet
Amarylis
Anemone
Anthurium
Arum Lilies
Autumn Crocus
Azalea
Bird of Paradise
Bittersweet
Black-eyed Susan
Bleeding Heart
Bluebell
Buttercup
Caladium
Calla Lily
Carnation pink family
Carolina Jasmine
Christmas Rose
Chrysanthemum
Clematis
Crocus
Daffodil
Daphne
Delphinium
Four Oclock
Foxglove
Fuchsia
Gardenia
Gloriosa Lily
Goldenseal
Holly Berry
Honesty
Hoya
Hyacinth
Hydrangea
Hypericum
Iceland Poppy
Iris
Ivy
Jasmine
Jessamine
Jonquil
Laburnum
Lantana
Larkspur
Lily family
Lily of the Valley
Lobelia
Lupins
Marsh Marigold
Mistletoe
Monkshood
Morning Glory
Narcissus
Nightshade
Oak
Ohio Buckeye
Oleander
Oriental Poppy
Periwinkle
Philodendron
Poinsettia
Primula
Privet
Rhododendron
Rock Poppy
Snowdrop
Spring Adonis
Star of Bethlehem
Sunflower
Sweet Pea
Tobacco
Trumpet Vine
Tulip
Virginia Creeper
Water Hemlock
Wild Cherry
Windflower
Wisteria
Wolfsbane
Yellow Allamanda
Yellow Oleander

All of these are considered to be toxic flowers... and there are more. This is my I try to talk everyone into sugar flowers. Not to mention that most flowers you will get from the florist will be treated with pesticides and fertilizers. It's just safer to not chance it.

As for that cake... it looks like a 6-9-12... that's 100 servings... so I would start it at $500.00 plus the flowers... callas I'd charge $5 each since they are UBER easy to make. There looks to be about 16-18 callas on that cake so add $80-90.00 to that price plus delivery.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 9:43pm
post #12 of 21

Saving that list, but I'll have to look up what a lot of those flowers look like, I don't know the names of a lot of flowers. icon_redface.gif

aundrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundrea Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 9:57pm
post #13 of 21

just curious what about organic flowers? could those be put on a cake?

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 10:04pm
post #14 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by aundrea

just curious what about organic flowers? could those be put on a cake?

Organic, non-poisonous flowers can be used on a cake.

LaBellaFlor Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 10:05pm
post #15 of 21

Some of those I knew were poisonous. I don't put real flowers on any cake. It's jsut my preference. If they choose to go with real flowers, they gotta have the florist handle that. If you guys are telling some florist don't even know which ones may be posionous, I may have to add another clause to my contract.

sugalips Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugalips Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 10:41pm
post #16 of 21

Thank you so much for the list. Fortunately, I have only used roses but I, too, would feel terrible if I made someone sick. icon_sad.gif

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 11:09pm
post #17 of 21

Thank you very much for the list, saving it.

macciacae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
macciacae Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 1:21am
post #18 of 21

They will be fake flowers on the cake... Dose anyone have any prices for me... she said the most she wants to spend is 200.00. Each layer on the cake is 2 layers of cake and she wants a different flavor for each Tier. I have never done a wedding cake before

Thanks

LaBellaFlor Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 1:47am
post #19 of 21

Cakes are sold by the serving, how many servings does she need?

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 3:07pm
post #20 of 21

Well I gave you a price in my post...

$5/serving is what I charge. How many servings is she looking for? That cake looks like a 6-9-12 (maybe a 6-10-14) so it's at least 100 servings. Generally you find out how many servings they will need and calculate it by your per serving price. $200.00 is not a great cake budget. I'd send them to WalMart with that budget and then they can come crawling back to you when they realize even WalMart won't do it for that little.

CBMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CBMom Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 12:19am
post #21 of 21

A great way to keep costs down is to do just one flavour of cake for all four tiers...and one flavour of frosting/and or fillings.

Time is the killer for "your" budget with a cake with all the fussy stuff, ie, multi-flavoured/fillings cakes.

A "simple" BC covered cake - or, if you prefer to do fondant to help with finish, ribbons and topper/monogram pick that the Bride provides, still, IMHO, provides that "how oh lovely!"reaction that every bride wants. No cake stand, just fabric "clouded" under the cake, softens and makes it look so elegant...and gives that frilly, fussy feel, without the cake frills and fusses. icon_smile.gif

KWIM?

Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%