Fleece Look On A Stocking?

Decorating By cakesrock Updated 22 Oct 2009 , 10:48am by CakeDiane

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 1:15am
post #1 of 18

How do I get that fuzzy fleece look on a Christmas stocking?

17 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 1:18am
post #2 of 18

I'm guessing some sort of sponging technique would need to be employed.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 1:21am
post #3 of 18

Maybe those Wilton cake sparkles? Other than sponging...

saberger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saberger Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 1:26am
post #4 of 18

What about using some cotton candy?

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 1:29am
post #5 of 18

This is the best fleece look I have ever seen. In the comments, she said she put it on one piece at a time.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=73294

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 1:34am
post #6 of 18

There was a stocking cookie done either last year or the year before (don't ask me by who though) and for the white fleece on top she took fondant and a wire brush of sorts and dabbed the brush on the fondant, creating a fabric effect. It was gorgeous.

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 1:40am
post #7 of 18

Thanks for the great ideas, everyone!

sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 1:50am
post #8 of 18

For my christmas stockings and mittens i used white non-perils for the fleece look.

tarascupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarascupcakes Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 3:56am
post #9 of 18

I did the Wilton sparkles on a bunny and it was ok. The pic posted with the snowman cake was fabulous! I would probably pass out if I tried to put those on 1 at a time though. I think the wire brush like that was mentioned above, would work well. that's easy enough to test out though! Good luck girl!

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 4:24am
post #10 of 18

I would put the RI on, let it dry slightly and then take a stippling brush to it at a 90 degree angle.

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 4:25am
post #11 of 18

oops, sorry, forgot to add that I saw this done at Rollingpin productions (something like that) and it was for dog fur but looked awesome.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 1:22pm
post #12 of 18

What about the technique that Duff used on the trees he made for the Harry Potter cake? He took RI and dried it, then he ground it up (sorry I can't remember exactly how he did that part) Maybe he grated it on a microplane? You could email and ask if they would tell you. I think that look would work for what you want.

diane706 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane706 Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 2:21pm
post #13 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loucinda

What about the technique that Duff used on the trees he made for the Harry Potter cake? He took RI and dried it, then he ground it up (sorry I can't remember exactly how he did that part) Maybe he grated it on a microplane? You could email and ask if they would tell you. I think that look would work for what you want.

Didn't he spread the RI out on a slab, let it dry then dragged a bench scraper across it ? Kind of like making chocolate curls (but it ends up much finer since it's RI)?? I THINK that's the way he did it. Don't quote me though cause it's been a while since I saw that episode. I could be making the whole thing up! LOL!! icon_wink.gif

Loucinda Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 2:40pm
post #14 of 18

I think you are right - I remember them using a tool to do it, but I couldn't remember what tool! (bench scraper!) I know it looked more like "flocking" to me than it did a tree!

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 4:50pm
post #15 of 18

What is this Duff technique? I'm trying to visualize it.

Loucinda Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 5:09pm
post #16 of 18

They just put RI on a flat surface and let it dry. Then they took a bench scraper and "scraped" across it - which made dry RI "crumbles" (for lack of a better word) then they pressed that into some wet icing on a sugar cone to make it look like "flocking" on the trees. (which I think piped leaves would have looked better - this looked kind of like velvet covered trees to me)

sulia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sulia Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 9:49am
post #17 of 18

hi, i recently read in one of my books that you can use normal dishwashing scourers to get the fleece look. you can experiment with different scourers to get the look you want -
i tried a few scourers on some fondant just to experiment and it does work. good luck, sulia

CakeDiane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiane Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 10:48am
post #18 of 18

I recently made a "terry cloth towel" and I used a firm toothbrush and pounced it up on and down to make the texture--it worked really well

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%