Help! Need To Know What You Would Do!

Business By BellesMom Updated 19 Oct 2009 , 12:45am by BellesMom

BellesMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BellesMom Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 12:25am
post #1 of 12

I just used a Wonder Mold cake pan for the first time and delivered the cake today - it looked great and the client was very happy with it.....she just emailed me and said that the top part (Wonder Pan cake) was not completely done but that everything else was good!!!! AHHH! I don't know what to tell her! Has this ever happened to anyone?

11 replies
musselmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
musselmom Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 12:43am
post #2 of 12

I have used that pan some over many years and haven't had any problem. Did you use the heating core type thing that should have come with it? It looks like a pipe and it fits on a piece you screw into the bottom. I'm sorry your cake didn't get cook all the way through, I know when something like that happens I start to doubt my ability and feel terrible. Live and learn from it, but don't take it too hard. It sounds like the customer was happy with the rest of the cake, she just wanted to let you know.

BellesMom Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 12:51am
post #3 of 12

thanks musselmom - I did use the heating core, and baked it for over an hour at 350 degrees. I filled the cake batter up to the line (the 5 1/2 - 6 cups it recommends)....not sure what happened.. maybe too much cake batter?

Do you think I should offer a refund or discount on the next one?

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 12:56am
post #4 of 12

Did you test the cake? I usually use a skewer, since its wider than a toothpick and more reliable....

I'd probably offer her a discount on her next cake, esp since she sounded so nice about it.

BellesMom Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 1:08am
post #5 of 12

I did test (with toothpick) and it came out clean - but you are right - it only goes down so far. She was very nice about it - she even sent me pics of her little girl with the cake. I will make sure from now on - I will make sure the cake is 100% done.

cakes-r-us Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes-r-us Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 1:35am
post #6 of 12

This happened to me on an 8" 2 layer. Cake was for my neice and she said the center wasnt cooked. Asked her if she saved it to show me, she said no, and since she's always happy with her cake she just wanted to let me know. Since she gets most of her cakes from me I told her I appreciate her letting me know, told her her next cake would be on me. Since she gets about 10 a year I was ok with it. And the good thing about her she is always with her cakes.

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 1:58am
post #7 of 12

I ALWAYS have problems with that stupid pan. I gave up, and now I make a 4", 6" and 8" and carve it. You get to add filling that way anyway, so its not just huge chunks of cake when you cut into it.

BellesMom Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 12:38pm
post #8 of 12

thanks for your advise ladies -

cakes-r-us, I should have asked her to take a picture and send it to me...didn't think about it, I was in too much shock!

jentreu, I agree - I told my husband that I was going to either use the pan and cut the cake next time or use different sizes and carve it.
Thanks icon_smile.gif

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 1:56pm
post #9 of 12

When I've used this pan in the past I always torte it just to be sure it's cooked through.

It's a cheap quality pan and doesn't always bake evenly.

I'd either offer a partial refund or a future discount and let her decide what she'd prefer. I mean, they couldn't eat the uncooked portion of the cake, right?

BellesMom Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 2:46pm
post #10 of 12

She wanted a cake to feed 8-10 people and only requested the doll cake itself. Luckily I decided that it would look better if I did the round cake for the doll to sit on, so she had plenty of cake for her party, but no - they could not eat the under cooked top part.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 4:26pm
post #11 of 12

I torte *everything* so that I can look inside the cake.

BellesMom Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 12:45am
post #12 of 12

Yes, lesson learned - I will be doing the same leah_s! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%