Homemade Gumpaste And Hot Hands

Baking By HowCoolGomo1 Updated 20 Oct 2009 , 1:24pm by HowCoolGomo1

HowCoolGomo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HowCoolGomo1 Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 1:49am
post #1 of 8

I know I'm supposed to make it firmer. I don't know what to add.

I'm using someone's personal recipe. It's based on the Wilton gum paste mix. but only using a small amount with powdered sugar and gelatin.

It's sticking to my hands like crazy. Since this is for a flower class, I went back to Satin Ice. I'm there to learn how to do the flowers, not to fight the GP.

I haven't made the N. Lodge recipe yet. I'll be doing that this weekend. It's states in one of his books I need to make it firmer. Doesn't tell me how to make it firmer.

Anyone?

TIA...Gomo

7 replies
Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 3:21am
post #2 of 8

I'm not really familiar with any gumpaste recipes but I do I tylose to ready made fondant to make it firmer.

HowCoolGomo1 Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 6:05am
post #3 of 8

Rylan
That helps huge!

Thank you!

Gomo

LadyKinster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LadyKinster Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 7:18am
post #4 of 8

Hey Gomo, I too suffer the "hot hands." I can use Wilton's gumpaste if I'm in a pinch, but you should really try the N. Lodge recipe. It is some awesome stuff! And I don't seem to melt it as fast when I'm kneading it. When I do roll it out thin for flowers, I've learned that I have to do 2 or three flowers at a time. This way my previous work has time to "cool off" before I work on it again. It's a bit of a pain, but my roses have improved tremendously! I'm also known to have an ice pack around to cool of my hands while I'm "playing."
HTH

LadyKinster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LadyKinster Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 7:20am
post #5 of 8

Hey Gomo, I too suffer the "hot hands." I can use Wilton's gumpaste if I'm in a pinch, but you should really try the N. Lodge recipe. It is some awesome stuff! And I don't seem to melt it as fast when I'm kneading it. When I do roll it out thin for flowers, I've learned that I have to do 2 or three flowers at a time. This way my previous work has time to "cool off" before I work on it again. It's a bit of a pain, but my roses have improved tremendously! I'm also known to have an ice pack around to cool of my hands while I'm "playing."
HTH

HowCoolGomo1 Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 9:50am
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyKinster

HTH

Thank you. I have been given the recommendation to have ice packs handy.

I will try the old N. Lodge and the new N. Lodge recipe.

I like the Satin Ice, I just don't like the price.

Thanks again.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 2:42pm
post #7 of 8

I didn't know there were two N. Lodge recipes...I use the one currently on his website and it works very well. Once I wasn't paying attention and added an extra cup of PS and that made it very firm, a little more firm than I really wanted to work with.

I never had any luck with the Wilton recipe...too sticky no matter what I did with it and the smell gave me a headache.

HowCoolGomo1 Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 1:24pm
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

I didn't know there were two N. Lodge recipes...I use the one currently on his website and it works very well. Once I wasn't paying attention and added an extra cup of PS and that made it very firm, a little more firm than I really wanted to work with.

I never had any luck with the Wilton recipe...too sticky no matter what I did with it and the smell gave me a headache.

The older recipe uses gum tragacanth with an option of using tylose as well.

The recipe is definitely in the 2nd volume of International school of S.C . Would type out the name, but it will get bleeped.

Gomo

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%