Selling To Other Businesses

Business By splymale Updated 18 Oct 2009 , 2:29pm by indydebi

splymale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
splymale Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 11:15pm
post #1 of 9

Hi! last year a local grocery store bought decorated Christmas cookies from me. They bought a ton & I made a good amount of $ from it. They mixed my cookies in with a tray of others. They said they would have my cards & brochures out with the cookies, but they never did. It just had their grocery name on it. I never recieved any other business from it. Similarly, another bakery wants to add my cookies to their trays. They say they will put something with my name on it, but no contact info. They want customers to order the cookies through them so they don't order anything else from me. So what do all of you do?
Resteraunts order form bakeries & don't always state where they bought the dessert from. Should I sell the cookies to these places & just be happy for the $ or say no way, I want full & complete credit?

8 replies
splymale Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 11:46pm
post #2 of 9

I know this is for cakes, but maybe some of you have done this with your products, not necessarily cookies.icon_smile.gif

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 3:26am
post #3 of 9

What do you think would be better for your business? Selling a lot with no credit or making sure you get credit so you get additional business, but possibly not getting any additional business just the same. Personally, I don't think either is right or wrong. I don't think it would be smart for the grocery store to give you credit. Why would the customer buy from them when they can get them a little cheaper from you, right?

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 5:37am
post #4 of 9

I feel your pain. What if boils down to is if you need the money, sell them the cookies. If you can afford to turn down the business because getting the advertising is more important, do that.

Honestly, right now I would pass. If you're legal, create your own trays, advertise like mad and make the money yourself. (not sure if that is possible though.)

I also don't think it's wrong if you need the money. The think is, its your business so you get to decide.

splymale Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 4:31pm
post #5 of 9

thanks, as long as they give me enough orders to make it worth my while(since I will most likely not get any future business from it), I'll do it.
Thanks for the advice!

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 8:17pm
post #6 of 9

You know I see you are in Ohio so they do have cottage laws that allow you to sell from home. Is there any reason why you can't advertise and sell directly, as well as sell to the stores?

splymale Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 1:00pm
post #7 of 9

I do sell directly from my home, as well. i have a home bakery license, so I can sell refrigerated items. Thanks for the suggestionicon_smile.gif

online_annie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
online_annie Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 1:19pm
post #8 of 9

If you have your own legal way to sell...why would you allow other places to sell your work without credit? I would buckle down and advertise in key places, repairing for the holidays. You should have no problem building up orders and receiving all of the credit and referrals. Consider creating some trays and passing out some freebies. This always works incredibly well. Often times, you are the first they think of when they are in need. I personally would not sell my work through anyone that "mixes" my work with others. Not knowing their level or work or taste...wouldn't want it confused. Just my 2 cents!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 2:29pm
post #9 of 9

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%