Help!! Asap Sticky Fondant After Applied To Cake

Decorating By junglicious Updated 16 Oct 2009 , 10:15pm by __Jamie__

junglicious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
junglicious Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 8:48pm
post #1 of 10

I am making a cake that is 95% done and for some reason the top tier the fondant got sticky i applied water so i could add polka dots and what not and i don't know if i put to much or what but its all sticky what can i do the lady is coming to pick the cake up this afternoon!
please help

9 replies
terrig007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrig007 Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 8:59pm
post #2 of 10

I don't know but I'll give you a bump so someone else may be able to help.

Kims_cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kims_cakes Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 9:02pm
post #3 of 10

Have you tried sprinkling (dusting, rubbing a little) powdered sugar on top? I've done it when mine is too sticky.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 9:04pm
post #4 of 10

If you're finished with it--no worries just don't touch it.

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 9:09pm
post #5 of 10

I agree with K8, just don't touch it. I got a few raindrops on a cake once, and I remembered reading something on here about leaving it alone, so I did (as tempted as I was to dab with a papertowel) and it dried on it's own.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 9:18pm
post #6 of 10

If it's real wet you could put a small fan blowing on it on low speed.....that should dry it for you. (or a blow dryer on cool setting)

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 10:07pm
post #7 of 10

Next time....no water. Period. Alcohol, extracts, anything but water. You have to use something that will evaporate with quickness.

__Jamie__ Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 10:09pm
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by K8memphis-

If you're finished with it--no worries just don't touch it.

And that too. And ya know, icon_redface.gif I take that back, I use a dab of water to stick stuff on with all the time. (I think I had painting on fondant, on the brain or something). But anyways, yeah, teeny amounts of water...miniscule amounts of water.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 10:10pm
post #9 of 10

Yeah, I actually take a small paintbrush and apply the water to the piece I'm sticking on....I don't wet the cake itself.

__Jamie__ Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 10:15pm
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly

Yeah, I actually take a small paintbrush and apply the water to the piece I'm sticking on....I don't wet the cake itself.

Me too! I'm going to get one of those water pens next time I remember to remember that I want one. icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%