Can This Be Fixed?

Decorating By Leahmaria7981 Updated 19 Oct 2009 , 2:54am by Deb_

Leahmaria7981 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Leahmaria7981 Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 8:26pm
post #1 of 16

I'm making a cake for tomorrow. It's a tiered cake that will be 16", 12" and 8" rounds. I've filled them and used a BC dam on them. The two smaller cakes seem to have no problem, but the dam is breaking on the larger one and the filling is running out the sides. I don't know if it's the weight of the cake or what. How can I fix this? Should I just let it sit there and settle and scrape off the filling that runs out? Would that work? Can I fix it or should I just try starting over?

I'd a wedding cake for my aunt tomorrow and she's haveing an outdoors reception. I'm worried now. It's not hot here (about in the 60's), but I'm worried with the cake sitting there that the filling might keep coming out. I'd hate for her cake to be a disaster. I'm kinda freaking out now...lol. Is there anything I can do to fix this and prevent it from happening later?

15 replies
Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 8:30pm
post #2 of 16

Can you disassemble the tier, re-dam, fill and crumbcoat without breaking it apart?

I'd try doing that first before you start over.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 8:33pm
post #3 of 16

What kinda filling is it? Maybe you could cook it down some more --add some gelatin to thciken it up--but I mean I don't know what kind it is either.

Is this cake stacked yet?

When you do stack it, make the dowel the exact same height of the cake or a tid tad taller so no pressure on the cake.

What kinda filling?

-K8memphis Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 8:35pm
post #4 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly

Can you disassemble the tier, re-dam, fill and crumbcoat without breaking it apart?

I'd try doing that first before you start over.

I'd chill the cakes before doing this.

Do you by any chance have a nice flat cookie sheet with no ledge?
That would be perfect to disassemble the 16.

Leahmaria7981 Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 8:39pm
post #5 of 16

The filling is lemon filling with raspberry jam under it. I haven't stacked it yet. I won't be doing that until tomorrow about an hour before the party starts.

So, I should just try to disasemble it and start over again? It wouldn't work to let it settle for a bit and let some of it just run out?

-K8memphis Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 8:44pm
post #6 of 16

What kind of lemon filling?

If I had a cake that was bleeding filling I'd fix it.

I'd take it apart and --well I mean you could on purpose remove the dam and let as much as possible squish out on purpose and hope it's not contagious.

How much did you use? I'm concerned about keeping this chilled.
Is this supposed to be kept in the frige?

Leahmaria7981 Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 8:49pm
post #7 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by K8memphis-

What kind of lemon filling?

If I had a cake that was bleeding filling I'd fix it.

I'd take it apart and --well I mean you could on purpose remove the dam and let as much as possible squish out on purpose and hope it's not contagious.

How much did you use? I'm concerned about keeping this chilled.
Is this supposed to be kept in the frige?

It a lemon filling my aunt gave me the recipe for. It's cooked and she told me it would be fine for it to set out for a while (she's an ex-cake decorator and caterer). It's basically just sugar, lemon juice, eggs and corn starch.

I put about a fourth of an inch worth of filling and the dam was a bit taller than the filling.

There seems to only be 2 small places that are having the problem. The rest of the cake looks just fine. Just the 2 small spots.

Leahmaria7981 Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 8:51pm
post #8 of 16

Oh, and it will be kept in the fridge until it's time for me to assemble it tomorrow.

Deb_ Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 8:56pm
post #9 of 16

One other thing you could try is to mix a VERY STIFF buttercream, I'm talking "play doh" STIFF.

Chill the tier......gently use a spatula to lift the top layer a bit and place a rolled piece of the "play doh" buttercream in there where it's leaking. Place something on top of the cake and see if the filling holds.

It sounds like the lemon filling didn't set up enough, I have had this problem with my recipe too, I end up using a lot more corn starch then is called for.

Keep that baby well chilled.

-K8memphis Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 8:59pm
post #10 of 16

Hmmm - you gotta go with your gut.

It might be fine after it seeps for a few...

How well does the filling set up when it gets cold?

I'd put some raspberry and some lemon together and see if one breaks down the other. Is that a possibility?

Leahmaria7981 Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 9:04pm
post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by K8memphis-

Hmmm - you gotta go with your gut.

It might be fine after it seeps for a few...

How well does the filling set up when it gets cold?

I'd put some raspberry and some lemon together and see if one breaks down the other. Is that a possibility?

I've used the lemon and raspberry before and never had a problem with it. I've used it in smaller cakes, but not a cake this size before, so I don't know if maybe it's the weight of the top tier.

I made the filling 2 days ago and it's set up in the fridge since then. I don't know, I've never had a problem with it before.

I did let it set and seep a bit and scraped off what came out and got a spoon and kinda dug some of it away from where it was coming out then put some more BC in it. It's been sitting there for a little while now and it's seeming to hold up fine for now. I don't see any more seeping or bulging.

Deb_ Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 9:15pm
post #12 of 16

Oh that's good. Hopefully you're all set now. Good luck!

-K8memphis Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 9:18pm
post #13 of 16

Sounds good to me!! Be careful when you assemble and don't tempt fate and let too much pressure get things 'going' again. Keeping it chilled should help a lot.

Hope all goes well.

Please post after the event & tell me how it went.

!fingers crossed for yah!

musselmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
musselmom Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 12:56am
post #14 of 16

Peace of mind is a great thing. I'd do extra work tonight to repair it rather then worry all night and hope for the best tomorrow. Thats just me though.

Leahmaria7981 Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 1:38am
post #15 of 16

I did end up taking the top layer off because a little later on it did start to seep the fillnig again, but after I fixed it, it worked out great. I'll come back later tomorrow and poast pics of it though. Thanks to all who helped me! Thanks!

Deb_ Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 2:54am
post #16 of 16

Glad it worked out for you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%