Fondant And Ganache Questions (Hurry Please)

Decorating By gloria Updated 15 Oct 2009 , 10:16pm by gloria

gloria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gloria Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 4:29am
post #1 of 6

Making my spreadable ganache on Thursday night to sit overnight.
Taking my cakes from the freezer Friday.
Sat. morning I will put on the ganache (using as crumb coat and filling).
Was told to use a hot knife and smooth the ganache down so it will be smooth for the fondant.
Sun. morning putting on the fondant and decorating.

questions:
Will the fondant stick to the ganache or do I have to do something to the cake?
Will it be okay to use chocolate bavarian cream as a filling and the ganache as the crumbcoat?
Do I leave the ganached cake out on the counter over night or should I refrigerate?

5 replies
milkmaid42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milkmaid42 Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 4:39am
post #2 of 6

I have used Sharon Zambito's method of lightly spraying the ganached cake with water before applying the fondant, and have used piping gel also. Both methods have worked well for me.
Secondly, I don't crumb coat if I use ganache. And yes, it does smooth well with a hot knife.
Thirdly, I would keep the cake refrigerated if made with a cream type filling. It doesn't damage the ganache at all.
Forthly, (?) I love ganache. Hardly ever use BC crumb coat anymore. It is very forgiving, not to mention delicious.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 8:57am
post #3 of 6

Will the fondant stick to the ganache or do I have to do something to the cake?
-I usually brush cornsyrup, water or watered down jam.

Will it be okay to use chocolate bavarian cream as a filling and the ganache as the crumbcoat?
-I'm not familiar with the recipe that you use but if it doesn't melt and get watery, then it would be fine.

Do I leave the ganached cake out on the counter over night or should I refrigerate?
-If your filling is perishable (which I believe it is) then you would have to refrigerate it.

I don't crumbcoat with ganache either. I just put the final coat.

zdebssweetsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zdebssweetsj Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 11:58am
post #4 of 6

Once you use ganache you will never use anything else under your fondant. It will give you such a smooth firm surface. I usually brush the sides with sugar water syrup, I have Sharon Zambito's Totally Topsy Turvy DVD she goes into detail about how to use ganache under fondant , it's worth the money you'll love it

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 12:17pm
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by zdebssweetsj

Once you use ganache you will never use anything else under your fondant.

I TOTALLY agree. That is the reason why I will never use anything else.

gloria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gloria Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 10:16pm
post #6 of 6

And now I come to find out that the person I'm making the cake for is lactose intolerant so she says she cannot eat cake with ganache.

Since I really want to try this I told her I would keep the top tier (6") just for her with the buttercream under the fondant.

My chocolate bavarian cream filling I purchased from Global Sugarart in a sleeve. I'm assuming it will not need to be refrigerated????

And because I'm using this do I dam the ganache?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%