Any Tips On Working With Black Fondant? Excess Sugar?

Decorating By Eviebakes Updated 16 Oct 2009 , 1:20am by leah_s

Eviebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eviebakes Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 11:46pm
post #1 of 6

Hi! I am a beginner with fondant. I want to purchase some black fondant to use on a Halloween cake. After dusting and rolling it out, how do you remove the excess powdered sugar from your finished black fondant so that it doesn't show up on your cake? icon_smile.gif

Thanks so much!

5 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 11:49pm
post #2 of 6

Dust it off with a clean pastry brush, then if you still have excess, you can rub a bit of crisco over it, paint it with vodka or clear extract, or steam it (with a handheld clothes steamer).

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 8:59am
post #3 of 6

Texas_Rose covered it all. I prefer to rub it with shortening and then wipe it off with a paper towel.

online_annie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
online_annie Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 9:23am
post #4 of 6

I agree with Texas_Rose and Rylan. I don't use powder sugar for that reason. I use cornstarch and have not had much of a problem when working with Black. Perhaps you may want to try that. Otherwise, brush off with a clean, soft, dry brush and lightly rub with crisco. I would also recommend Satin Ice Fondant for your Black if it's available in your area. It's the best I've ever used. I just wish they came up with a great orange!

Eviebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eviebakes Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 7:44pm
post #5 of 6

Thank you one and all for all of your great suggestions!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 1:20am
post #6 of 6

I've got an even better solution. I quit using cornstarch or powdered sugar to roll out fondant YEARS ago. I rub a thin, thin film of veg shortening on the counter and roll away. Much easier, and no cleanup.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%