3-D Tree

Decorating By justgale Updated 13 Oct 2009 , 11:24pm by Texas_Rose

justgale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justgale Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 10:27pm
post #1 of 3

Anyone have any idea how to make one? I've done the pine trees from icecream cones but I need a Sassafrass Tree for a school project my son is working on. He's doing a gingerbread train depot and a cake train but we need a tree to go with it. Any suggestions would be appericated.

2 replies
deetmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deetmar Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 11:10pm
post #2 of 3

I've never made a Sassafrass tree, but I have made palm trees and some regurlar trees. I have done these several different ways. You can to a chocolate transfer and put a sucker stick on the back, I have done some palm trees that have wrapped strips of fondant around a straw and attached the fondant or gumpaste leaves to the top with royal icing. I have also made trees out of modeling chocolate.

Sorry I'm not much help.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 11:24pm
post #3 of 3

I made a big 3D tree before, from dowels, a piece of foam board, floral tape, straws and some 18 gauge wire. I started with a piece of foam board, irregularly cut in a circle, with a hole in the middle. I took a handful of dowels and put them on top of the foamcore, with one extending down through the hole (to stick into the cake as a support). Then I wrapped the dowels about halfway up with floral tape. I stuck a bunch of 18 gauge wires into the middle of the dowels and threaded straws over them and partway onto the dowels. Then I bent the wire to look like tree branches. The straw was on it to give it some thickness without using a ton of wires and getting too heavy. I wrapped the whole thing in floral tape and then covered in brown fondant, making sure I covered the foam board too...make it look like tree roots. Then use a knife or a veining tool and make the tree surface look grooved. To add leaves, I stuck some small wires in with a ball of fondant on the end, let dry, then attached fondant leaves.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%