Double Tier Cake

Decorating By Darla88 Updated 13 Oct 2009 , 12:23am by JanH

Darla88 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Darla88 Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 11:46pm
post #1 of 4

Hello, I am new to this site and relatively new to cake decorating. I am doing a cake for my sisters baby shower and I want it to be super -special. I have worked with fondant a number of times and would like to do a double tiered cake this time. I am hoping someone can help me with this. I am not sure as how to use the dowling in the cake so that it is secure and stable. Also what kind of cake is the best to use for doing a stacked cake. I am assuming the heavier cakes would work best. Please help icon_smile.gif

3 replies
jenlane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenlane Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 11:53pm
post #2 of 4

hi darla88, you can use pretty much any cake as long as you have the right support. for a 6" and 9" teired cake i use the jumbo straws like you get at 7-11,insert one into the bottem teir and cut it just a little shorter than the top of the fondant, so when you add the next teir theres no gap. cut them all the same length. make sure you use a cardboard support in under the smaller teir. that about it. between 3-5 straws should do it.

Darla88 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Darla88 Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 11:58pm
post #3 of 4

thankyou very much

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 12:23am
post #4 of 4

Hi and Welcome to CC, Darla88. icon_smile.gif

Everything you need to know to make, decorate and assemble tiered/stacked/layer cakes:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-605188-.html

Above super thread has popular CC recipes for crusting American buttercream, several types of fondant and doctored cake mix (WASC and other flavor variations) - and so much more!

See Leah_s post and sticky for information on SPS support system. There's also a link to illustrated common support systems with complete directions.

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%