German Chocolate Wedding Cake Question

Decorating By Temptations Updated 22 Oct 2009 , 8:18pm by Temptations

Temptations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Temptations Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 10:33pm
post #1 of 7

I've done tiered cakes before, but never a German chocolate one. What makes a German chocolate cake German chocolate? I looked up German chocolate and saw the coconut gooey filling. She wants that as just the filling between chocolate layers. Is it normal chocolate cake? Or is the cake a special cake? I am covering the tiers in chocolate fondant. Is there anything I need to be aware of with using the coconut filling between cake layers? Are they going to slide around a lot? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

6 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 10:43pm
post #2 of 7

German's chocolate is what makes a German Chocolate cake. It's not a Germany thing--the guy who developed and marketed the chocolate --his name is/was German hence German's chocolate cake but over the years it's become German Chocolate cake --we've dropped the 's'. It's a milder chocolate.

You just wanna be sure to watch the refrigeration for your filling.

Temptations Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 11:18pm
post #3 of 7

I'm going to use the shelf stable coconut frosting/filling from the store. Won't that be okay to leave out. I can't refrigerate a fondant cake nor do I have room to refrigerate a wedding cake.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 12:10am
post #4 of 7

I don't know--just check the package.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 3:19am
post #5 of 7

Here's what German's chocolate package looks like:

Great article about the creation of this cake:

http://www.joyofbaking.com/GermanChocolateCake.html

momtofourmonkeys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momtofourmonkeys Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 3:36am
post #6 of 7

I use the German Chocolate recipe that comes inside the Chocolate's box and add a tbsp of veggie oil to make the cake more moist. I have had rave reviews with it.

As for the frosting as a filling, it won't slide around at all. It is a thick frosting and will glue the layers together nicely. Keep the filling between the layers thinner and you will be just fine.

I have also left my German Chocolate Cakes out for up to three days/ two nights at a time and have never had a problem with them. I let my frosting come to a boil while stirring constantly, then turn the heat down while continuing to stir until thick.

HTH

edited to add that I do use the frosting recipe from the box also. Yummy!

Temptations Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 8:18pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks for all the helpful advice. I used the German chocolate box mix and the shelf coconut filling. I kept it thin and it didn't slide at all when I covered the tiers in chocolate satin ice. The couple were thrilled with the cake so I thank you for all your help.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%