6 Year Old Suspended For Camping Utensil.......

Lounge By itsmylife Updated 15 Oct 2009 , 7:22pm by 7yyrt

itsmylife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itsmylife Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 8:02pm
post #1 of 17

Interesting story... here's the link http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/12/education/12discipline.html?no_interstitial

The funny thing is that my 6-yo joined cub scouts one month ago, and we just purchased one of these things for a camping trip. The school board should be handling these things on a case by case basis. I think it's ridiculous that they suspended him.

I was telling this story to my mother, and my 6yo heard it and asked what 'suspended' meant. So, I explained it to him, and explained that because the fork/spoon/knife thing was sharp & pointy, it could hurt someone. His response was, 'but mommy, aren't pencils sharp and pointy?".

16 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 9:10pm
post #2 of 17

I saw that, too. Poor kid. I hope that they straighten it out during the hearing.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 9:19pm
post #3 of 17

That is a shame. I don't think they should have suspended him. The schools are supposed to be teaching our kids to think, and here they are blindly following a set of guidelines without thinking.

The mother should have kept him from taking it to school, though. I know not everyone will agree, but with everything that's happened in schools in recent times, we have to expect them to be a little unreasonable and it's better to err on the side of caution.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 9:20pm
post #4 of 17

Awww! That kid looks so sweet! He wears a suit and tie to school because he wants to? These zero-tolerance policies are more like zero-brain policies! This kid should be at school. He's the kind of kid who you'd want to hold up to his classmates as a role-model. Kids at a reform school would eat him alive. The school board there are a bunch of idiots for doing this because of eating utensils. Next thing you know, they're going to outlaw pencils and rulers. Let's just wrap all our kids in bubble wrap and keep them locked in sterile rooms. icon_rolleyes.gif

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 10:31pm
post #5 of 17

Poor little guy. I hope he gets to go back to school soon.

KKC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKC Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 12:28pm
post #6 of 17

I think some schools nowadays are backwards...my sons school will suspend you for being tardy too many times but they'll give a bully detention icon_confused.gif I recently spoke to my sons teacher because he told me that there is this kid in the class who hit him. I wanted to have a conference with the teacher, the principal and his parents, do you know that lady told me, "Oh your child is not the only one he hits, he hits everyone and he gets detention. We've talked to his parents so they are aware of what he's doing" icon_eek.gificon_confused.gif Excuse me, what do you mean he gets detention? and what are his parents doing about his behavior? I let her know immediately that if my son is hit by this boy again, I give him my permission to kick his a$$ and I don't want to get one single phone call from the school. I know that its not right to teach your kids to fight but I'll be damned if my child is going to be bullied and not do anything about it.

Sorry for hijacking your thread OP, but the school system in Florida is beyond backwards icon_mad.gif

itsmylife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itsmylife Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 1:06pm
post #7 of 17

KKC-

Funny you mention that.... a good friend of mine had a very similar situation (surprise....we're in Florida too). A boy in her son's class started bullying her son (biting, hitting, spitting, etc). When she talked to the teacher about it she said the same exact thing....'oh he's not just picking on your son, he does it to other kids too. He gets detention with the principal when he does those things.'

The kid/bully could care less, he still does it and his behavior hasn't changed. She ended up pulling her son out and changing schools because the administration didn't seem to think it was that serious. They met with the teacher and the principal who actually had the audacity to tell her that her son was a tattletale.

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 1:17pm
post #8 of 17

KKC I totally understand. When my daughter was in Middle School she get punched in the face by a BOY, cause she wouldn't move from the seat on the bus he wanted, they did nothing. He then threatened her at school, cause we pressed charges, they did nothing. She then got hit by a girl who was like 150 lbs., 5' 6", in front of teachers in the hall way, they did nothing. Keep in mind my daughter was like 4'8" and about 80 lbs. I told her the next time someone messes with her crack them in a face with a cafeteria tray. I told her they'll leave her alone after that. Sure enough, someone else started picking on her. She beat the mess out that girl, and I got the phone call. Her princepal told me,"We have a no tolerance policy". I was like,"Oh really?" and then proceeded to list all the things that had happen to her and he said nothing. I said,"Just like you didn't do anything about those things, I'm not doing anything to her about this. In fact while she's suspended, we're going shopping".

KKC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKC Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 2:45pm
post #9 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBellaFlor

KKC I totally understand. When my daughter was in Middle School she get punched in the face by a BOY, cause she wouldn't move from the seat on the bus he wanted, they did nothing. He then threatened her at school, cause we pressed charges, they did nothing. She then got hit by a girl who was like 150 lbs., 5' 6", in front of teachers in the hall way, they did nothing. Keep in mind my daughter was like 4'8" and about 80 lbs. I told her the next time someone messes with her crack them in a face with a cafeteria tray. I told her they'll leave her alone after that. Sure enough, someone else started picking on her. She beat the mess out that girl, and I got the phone call. Her princepal told me,"We have a no tolerance policy". I was like,"Oh really?" and then proceeded to list all the things that had happen to her and he said nothing. I said,"Just like you didn't do anything about those things, I'm not doing anything to her about this. In fact while she's suspended, we're going shopping".

Its funny because the bullies are the main ones who end up getting their butts kicked icon_lol.gif I wouldn't have settled for the suspension though, I would've taken it right to the school board and raised hell. Somebody would've been suspended or kicked out of school but it wouldn't have been my child. Every other day I'm hearing stories on the news about bullies and its sad. Just yesterday in Florida a 15 year old kid was set on fire by 3 teenagers burned 75% of his body. Last year in Florida a girl was killed by another girl, the accuser had a crush on the victim but the victim didn't want to go there with her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmylife

KKC-

Funny you mention that.... a good friend of mine had a very similar situation (surprise....we're in Florida too). A boy in her son's class started bullying her son (biting, hitting, spitting, etc). When she talked to the teacher about it she said the same exact thing....'oh he's not just picking on your son, he does it to other kids too. He gets detention with the principal when he does those things.'

The kid/bully could care less, he still does it and his behavior hasn't changed. She ended up pulling her son out and changing schools because the administration didn't seem to think it was that serious. They met with the teacher and the principal who actually had the audacity to tell her that her son was a tattletale.

I'm taking my son out of this school...but not before I do some good research on other schools. He use to attend this fabulous school in Miami, I loved that school, the teachers, administrators, but we moved to a different city so I had to transfer him. I'm thinking of putting him in private school. I know that there are bullies everywhere but I think private schools are a little more strict than public schools..thats just my opinion because I attended private school for like the first 8 years i was in school. You'd think that because of all the killings going on in schools that they'll take this bullying thing more seriously.

costumeczar Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 3:13pm
post #10 of 17

I have to say that I saw the family on the news this morning being interviewed, and after seeing the "utensil" I'm not thinking that the school is so much at fault as the parents are. This is one of those little things that looks like a Swiss army knife, and it opens up with a fork, a spoon, and knife, but it's a metal knife that looks like a pocketknife, not a butter knife. I don't know if the kid took it to school without telling anyone, but from what they were saying it sounds like he had it on the bus, then gave it to a teacher who asked to see it when he was getting off the bus, so he must have had it out on the bus, he was probably showing it to other kids.

I think that the school has to look at each case individually, and they were right to confiscate the thing, but not necessarily right to suspend the poor kid. On the other hand, what parent lets their kid take anything that resembles a knife to school? His mother is apparently the co-president of the school's PTA, don't tell me that she doesn't know better than to send a little kid to school with a knife. It showed the school handbook that clearly said that you can't bring anything like that to school, so unless he snuck it to school (which is possible, him being only 6) they knew that he was taking it with him? They might know that he wouldn't do anything dangerous with it, but nobody else knows for sure, and some other kid might have taken it from him and messed with it. I can see a bunch of 1st graders being interested in that and starting to grab for it at lunchtime. Anyway...

On another note, if my kid was getting harassed at school and I got the reaction from the school that you other posters got, I'd have my kids beat the snot out of the other kids, too! And my kids both have second-degree black belts, so I know they can hit pretty hard. icon_twisted.gif

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 4:04pm
post #11 of 17

And it's sad that I had to tell my kids to get physical! But hey, if thats what it takes.

My oldest ended up getting into a prestigest H.S. and is now at O.D.U. We are in a MUCH better school district & life is great! icon_smile.gif

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 9:05pm
post #12 of 17

I saw the family on the Today show this morning too....and the "weapon".

My first thought was, "hey, that's no camping utensil, that's a Swiss Army knife".

Big difference between that and "camping utensils".

I guess it's possible that his Mom didn't know he took the knife to school, but I have to agree with the school's decision on this one. Somebody definitely could have gotten hurt with that thing.....even if that was not the intent of the little boy.

chelleb1974 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelleb1974 Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 12:35am
post #13 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly

I guess it's possible that his Mom didn't know he took the knife to school, but I have to agree with the school's decision on this one. Somebody definitely could have gotten hurt with that thing.....even if that was not the intent of the little boy.

That's what I was thinking. My parents wouldn't have let us bring that to school, and that was in the 80's icon_surprised.gif let alone today!

Girl Scout/Brownies and Boy/Cub Scout stuff was for Scouts, not school. We wore out uniforms to school when we had Scouts after school, but that was it. (How many have school pictures with their uniform on cause it was Scout Day that day? I think I have 3 or 4, lol)

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 1:54am
post #14 of 17

I did read that the mom had no idea he brought it to school.

Apparently though the school district is backing off...now that it's all over the internet and news.

costumeczar Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 10:25am
post #15 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesbycathy

I did read that the mom had no idea he brought it to school.

Apparently though the school district is backing off...now that it's all over the internet and news.

I figured that it might be that he just took it without asking, seems like a 6-yr-old thing to do. They should have told him that he can't take certain things to school, though. Little kids need to have most things spelled out for them, they have no idea otherwise.

JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 10:24pm
post #16 of 17

The first year I worked at my school a kindergartner brought a butcher knife in his backpack to stab the principal. He was mad that Dick had given him a detention.
When his grandmother was called to school, she looked at the principal and said he must have brought it to cut his sandwich and she's sue if they punished him.
Big shocker...that kid is in jail now.

The other part of this sad equation is school districts have to put all those rules in place because of all the lawsuits that are filed and incredible amount of money awarded by juries. I don't believe that boy should have be sentenced to that reform school for that amount of time, but I'm also guessing if he accidentally stabbed another child THEIR parents would have sued the heck out of the school district.

Jodie

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 7:22pm
post #17 of 17

The times certainly have changed.

We used to whittle while waiting for the bus each night. Oh dear me, we must have had knives!!!
During hunting season, almost every truck had rifles in the gun racks so the kids could go hunting on the way home.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%