Help With Crumb Coating A Buttercream Cake For Newbie

Decorating By proudmommaof3 Updated 12 Oct 2009 , 7:37pm by ibmoser

proudmommaof3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
proudmommaof3 Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 3:18pm
post #1 of 8

If I am going to frost a cake blue with buttercream (not fondant), do I crumb coat the cake in the blue buttercream or just white?

I crumb coated a cake this weekend (with white buttercream), placed in the fridge to set then when I went to frost the cake blue (buttercream) the white kept pulling through.

What am I doing wrong? AM I SUPPOSE TO CRUMB COAT THE CAKE THE SAME COLOR AS I AM GOING TO FROST?

HELP!

7 replies
CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 3:31pm
post #2 of 8

Hi. I just crumb coat mine in whatever buttercream I'm going to use to ice the cake. If your white crumb coat is showing through your blue bc I'd say you're putting your icing on too thin. Try applying a little thicker coat of icing to get better coverage. I'm not saying heap on thick icing, just put it on thick enough to decently/evenly cover your crumb coat and the small lumps of crumbs it there to glue down so it doesn't roll into your outer icing layer. Hope this helps.

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 3:31pm
post #3 of 8

I always crumb coat in white regardless of the icing color. When icing your cake whether it be in white or colored icing, you need to put it on sorta thick and always apply over previous applied icing. That sounds confusing, but add icing to icing....not icing to crumb coat. You can thin out/even out with a bench scraper. Edna has a great tutorial on this. I will try to find it and add the link.

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 3:36pm
post #4 of 8

proudmommaof3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
proudmommaof3 Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 5:19pm
post #5 of 8

I will definitely put on a thicker coat! Maybe it is too thin.

Also, thank you for posting the video. Edna's crumb coat was very thick. Is that how thick it's suppose to be? Do you refrigerate between coatings?

preetypoly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
preetypoly Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 5:34pm
post #6 of 8

I guess that you didn't let the icing to set very well, so when you added the other one they started mixing...

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 6:49pm
post #7 of 8

either one is fine, but I've done the crumb in white and it's shown thru in spots on the final coat. I think of it as a primer coat of icing .... and when we paint our walls, the primer is usually in the same shade as the final coat of icing, uh, paint! icon_wink.gif

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 7:37pm
post #8 of 8

There also is the possibility that your icing is just a bit too stiff. If it is too thick, it won't smooth on over the crumb coat - it will pull up the frosting beneath.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%