Can I Do This???

Decorating By cakebaker1957 Updated 13 Oct 2009 , 10:13pm by -K8memphis

cakebaker1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1957 Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 12:24pm
post #1 of 16

Just wondering if you can take a small oval pan and carve a #1 out of it?
A friend of mine wants me to do a 1st birthday cake and she want's a sheet cake, so i thought do a 1/4 sheet cake and do pink and Lavander dots then take the oval cake and try to carve the# 1 and do it in fondant, (which i haven't ever done before) then add some stars or fondant dots on wires . This will lay flat ontop of the sheet cake, any other ideal's would be great, Thanks so much icon_confused.gif

15 replies
Lenette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenette Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 12:57pm
post #2 of 16

As long as the size of the 1 fits within the size of the pan I don't see why not. I don't have any oval pans so it's hard for me to visualize the size.

I usually cut mine out of a sheet pan but it's the same difference I suppose. Your idea sounds super cute either way! icon_smile.gif

cakebaker1957 Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 12:59pm
post #3 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenette

As long as the size of the 1 fits within the size of the pan I don't see why not. I don't have any oval pans so it's hard for me to visualize the size.

I usually cut mine out of a sheet pan but it's the same difference I suppose. Your idea sounds super cute either way! icon_smile.gif

It doe"s fit, Im new to fondant , would you chill your cake first? Then cover with fondant?

sprinklemama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sprinklemama Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 1:27pm
post #4 of 16

I recently had a cake where a friend of mine wanted her daughter's name carved out of cake and placed on top of a sheet cake. Instead of carving the individual letters, I made a stencil of the name and placed it on a 9" x 13" sheet cake, and carved around the whole name. Then, I used a toothpick to outline the letters and filled the letters in with buttercream. I think the name cake turned out well like that.

I think I would use a rectangular cake pan instead of an oval pan, since the number "one" has mostly straight lines. If it were a number "three" or "six," I would definitely go with an oval pan. But it might make it simpler for you with straight lines to start out with.
LL

cakebaker1957 Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 2:42pm
post #5 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprinklemama

I recently had a cake where a friend of mine wanted her daughter's name carved out of cake and placed on top of a sheet cake. Instead of carving the individual letters, I made a stencil of the name and placed it on a 9" x 13" sheet cake, and carved around the whole name. Then, I used a toothpick to outline the letters and filled the letters in with buttercream. I think the name cake turned out well like that.

I think I would use a rectangular cake pan instead of an oval pan, since the number "one" has mostly straight lines. If it were a number "three" or "six," I would definitely go with an oval pan. But it might make it simpler for you with straight lines to start out with.

Thank You, I was thinking small oval so i wouldnt have to use more cake mix, and its going on a 9x13 cake,

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 3:07pm
post #6 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakebaker1957

Quote:

Thank You, I was thinking small oval so i wouldnt have to use more cake mix, and its going on a 9x13 cake,

This confuses me because a 9x13 takes a full cake mix... are you planning to use an extender recipe? If you don't want to use more cake mix, you could always just shape your number one out of krispie rice treats. Just an idea. You can cover the number with melted chocolate or buttercream then lay the fondant over that.

If you are going with the #1 from cake then, yes, carve it, dirty ice it, let it chill in the fridge for about 15-20 minutes. Roll out the fondant to about a 1/4" thick and lay it over the cake. Smooth down as much as possible then trim around it. Continue smoothing until you have a neat finish. Sometimes, you might have to trim seams on a sharp edge to make them look sharp.

I have the ovals... that smallest one is about 7" long. I should think it would make a #1 just fine.

LOL, edited to correct how thick the fondant should be... not 14"!!! icon_redface.gif

cakebaker1957 Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 5:25pm
post #7 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Win

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakebaker1957

Quote:

This confuses me because a 9x13 takes a full cake mix... are you planning to use an extender recipe? If you don't want to use more cake mix, you could always just shape your number one out of krispie rice treats. Just an idea. You can cover the number with melted chocolate or buttercream then lay the fondant over that.

If you are going with the #1 from cake then, yes, carve it, dirty ice it, let it chill in the fridge for about 15-20 minutes. Roll out the fondant to about a 1/4" thick and lay it over the cake. Smooth down as much as possible then trim around it. Continue smoothing until you have a neat finish. Sometimes, you might have to trim seams on a sharp edge to make them look sharp.

I have the ovals... that smallest one is about 7" long. I should think it would make a #1 just fine.

LOL, edited to correct how thick the fondant should be... not 14"!!! icon_redface.gif

Thank, I usually use 2 cake mixes to a 9x13 so i can have extra, so i thought if i used only the small oval pan i would have just enough, Thank you so much for your help, would you put a board under the 1?? Or not icon_rolleyes.gif

cakebaker1957 Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 5:52pm
post #8 of 16

Do you make the RKT like on the box of the Rice krispies?

Mug-a-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mug-a-Bug Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 5:57pm
post #9 of 16

I think it would work out fine. Just be sure to carve the cake when it's frozen, this will make your life MUCH easier. Good luck.

cakebaker1957 Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 6:03pm
post #10 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by SinCityCakes

I think it would work out fine. Just be sure to carve the cake when it's frozen, this will make your life MUCH easier. Good luck.

Thank You, I had thought of using RKT instead, But, iv'e never used them before icon_confused.gif

sprinklemama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sprinklemama Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 10:51pm
post #11 of 16

Yep, the RKT idea is really great. Sorry, I didn't understand about the cake mix issue.
I really love this site, with everyone's expertise - I'm learning os much from everyone!

cakebaker1957 Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 12:11pm
post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by SinCityCakes

Would you level the top or let it have a hump, i think i might just star it in icon_rolleyes.gif

online_annie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
online_annie Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 12:29pm
post #13 of 16

Always level a cake no matter what size, shape or finishing technique. It produces a much higher quality product.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 12:30pm
post #14 of 16

I started writing this yesterday but I just deleted it.

If I was doing a cake like this, I would just place a dry fondant or candy clay "1" on top of the carved iced cake, a nice fat one. I'm guessing this is a one layer cake? I just think you'll get more bang for your buck this way instead of covering the whole cake.

I don't know that was just my thought. This cake was done that way--I used candy clay because it doesn't stretch.

Just a thought for you.

Be sure you chill that cake or the fondant's gonna rally smash it if it's one layer.

...that's my thought for you. Sounds like a cool cake.

cakebaker1957 Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 7:49pm
post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by K8memphis-

I started writing this yesterday but I just deleted it.

If I was doing a cake like this, I would just place a dry fondant or candy clay "1" on top of the carved iced cake, a nice fat one. I'm guessing this is a one layer cake? I just think you'll get more bang for your buck this way instead of covering the whole cake.

I don't know that was just my thought. This cake was done that way--I used candy clay because it doesn't stretch.

Just a thought for you.

Be sure you chill that cake or the fondant's gonna rally smash it if it's one layer.

...that's my thought for you. Sounds like a cool cake.

Thanks, i could do that, thumbs_up.gif

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 10:13pm
post #16 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by online_annie

Always level a cake no matter what size, shape or finishing technique. It produces a much higher quality product.

Well yeah but like if it's the top of the top tier and you're gonna cover it with flowers, shoot might as well leave that hump on there yes?

I mean sometimes they come in handy.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%