Wasc Recipe - Need Help!!

Baking By feli123454 Updated 11 Oct 2009 , 10:00pm by feli123454

feli123454 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
feli123454 Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 6:36pm
post #1 of 8

Hi everybody, i only joined forum today, from UK (England). Avid cake baker but we don't have the "1 box cake mix" referred to in the recipe. The author also said "I prefer Betty Crocker". Can someone tell me what the equivalent would be if i made it from scratch? (I guess i'm oldfashioned, to make it from scratch?).
I would be so grateful if you could give me an idea.
warm wishes to everyone,
Anya from England

7 replies
stephaniescakenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephaniescakenj Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 6:58pm
post #2 of 8

well i don't know that this would help much but when I make it, I use duncan heinz which should be about the same yield as betty crocker and it's 3 cups of cake mix per box, this is a mix that contains flour sugar and leavening agents.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 7:32pm
post #3 of 8

I'm confused by your question though and am not sure exactly what you are asking? Are you asking how much batter goes in certain pan? Or just how much batter do cake mixes usually yield?

Cake mixes range from 4-6 cups or batter. The different brands and flavors with in a brand will all be a little different. Better Crocker and Philsbury usually make 4-5 cups of batter where as DH usually is 5-6 cups of batter.

I believe the weight of the mixes are around 18oz before anything is added.

If you are asking about how much goes in the pans, that is based on the size of the pan.

feli123454 Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 7:50pm
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

I'm confused by your question though and am not sure exactly what you are asking? Are you asking how much batter goes in certain pan? Or just how much batter do cake mixes usually yield?

Cake mixes range from 4-6 cups or batter. The different brands and flavors with in a brand will all be a little different. Better Crocker and Philsbury usually make 4-5 cups of batter where as DH usually is 5-6 cups of batter.

I believe the weight of the mixes are around 18oz before anything is added.

If you are asking about how much goes in the pans, that is based on the size of the pan.

Hi there, and thanks all for your help. I will try to be clearer! I think you are all writing from USA, right? Here in the UK we don't have those brands of cake mixes, so I don't know what the ingredient "1 box cake mix" actually refers to. Just imagine a place where you can't buy "1 box cake mix" and where Duncan Heinz and Betty Crocker don't mean anything. So, what I am asking is what this "1 box cakemix" is equivalent to, in actual ingredients -i.e. Flour, raising agent, sugar, anything else? So i can make it up myself from scratch. I hope this is clearer!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 7:55pm
post #5 of 8

Sorry I had opened a bunch of treads and didn't remember the subject you put. You are asking about the WASC recipe.

If you like scratch baking I'd just bake what you know and you like. The WASC recipes is a recipe that changes the flavor of cakes mixes as well as makes them go futher in the pans.

I'm not sure anyone knows exactly what is in the cake mixes (my guess is that the amounts woudl be top secret, other wise anyone could make it) so that may not be the way you want to go. There is a recipe, I believe in the general section, lately where someone converted a scratch recipe to be like the WASC one, that does not have a cake mix in it. I'd try searching there or the recipe section.

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 8:12pm
post #6 of 8

I saw a scratch WASC recipe here last week. I will try to search for it.
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-654467-scratch.html+wasc

erinalicia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erinalicia Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 8:18pm
post #7 of 8

There is a thread with a recipe for a scratch recipe WASC http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-654467-scratch.html

Do you have any kind of boxed cake mix in the UK that yields two 8-9 inch round cakes? That's the kind of boxed cake mix the recipe is referring to.

Hope that helps!

feli123454 Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 10:00pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks to everybody who answered, thank you so much, i found the 'from scratch' recipe and it's just what i was looking for. I'm so pleased i'll try it this week. Can't wait!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%