Professional Looking Cakes

Decorating By 982cathy Updated 21 Oct 2009 , 2:40pm by cakesweetiecake

982cathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
982cathy Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 6:25pm
post #1 of 14

Everyone shows such beautiful cakes here! They are wonderful inspirations. I would very much like to master this skill of making a "professional looking" cake. I know some people just have that "nack" , while others of us have to work at it. Alot of people can decorate a cake, but not everyone can produce that "spectacular quality". Would some of you consider sharing your tips/techniques/secrets for making a professional looking cake??

13 replies
cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 7:16pm
post #2 of 14

Sharon Zambito has some amazing video's that you can buy. Her fondant video is called "Flawless Fondant" and her buttercream one is called "Perfecting the Art of Buttercream".

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 8:58pm
post #3 of 14

There are several forums that can help with this "How Do I", "Cake Decorating" & even "Cake Disasters" is helpful as you will learn preventative measures. There are even tutorials. This entire site is dedicated to decorating, so you'll find something just about everywhere. You just gotta look. icon_smile.gif

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 9:03pm
post #4 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBellaFlor

There are several forums that can help with this "How Do I", "Cake Decorating" & even "Cake Disasters" is helpful as you will learn preventative measures. There are even tutorials. This entire site is dedicated to decorating, so you'll find something just about everywhere. You just gotta look. icon_smile.gif

I can't think of anything to add this. Other than.....practice!
And Bella, LOVE your quote. Dang shootin man....how much?? How much? Not THAT much, surely I can't charge that much....oi vey! I want to put that on my tagline too. Debi must love being quoted. I think we all need to quote that one. icon_lol.gif

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 9:19pm
post #5 of 14

It does take practice & if you watch the professionals on the cakes shows like Ace of Cakes, Buddy, the cake challenges etc....they make mistakes & have disasters too just like us!!!

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 9:22pm
post #6 of 14

Oh shoot. I don't think there's a time I haven't seen a bulge or two on one of Duff's cakes. Seriously. Sometimes, it's smoke and mirrors. Even he has said "you decorate to hide the flaws"...something to that effect.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 9:27pm
post #7 of 14

Cathy - Here's the list of acronyms to help you understand what's going on in the forum's. Hope this helps!

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-2926.html

And I agree with Superstar and Lurvely! Everyone is going to have a flaw here and there. It's cake - we aren't going to be 100% perfect. So you hide your flaws when you need to.

arosstx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arosstx Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 9:42pm
post #8 of 14

To me, a lot of what makes even a so-so cake look good is how it is photographed. Even a gorgeous cake looks less so when I see a coffee cup, stove, piping bag or other decorating supplies, sippie cup, etc. scattered all around. You can buy those science fair three-fold cardboard things to put behind your cake for not too much. I see them at walmart, Michaels, etc. all the time.

A covered cake board is important too. It finishes the cake. I've seen some great cakes on just plain cardboard, with the grease stain coming out from beneath the cake. Doesn't have to be fancy, just covered with something that won't allow the fat content of the cake or icing to stain it.

Just doing those two things can help (and please note that this is only my opinion).

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 10:44pm
post #9 of 14

I don't produce professional looking cakes but I can share you a few tutorials.

Check my signature for the links.

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 11:01pm
post #10 of 14

practice, practice, practice

that is it!

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 11:10pm
post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by LURVELY

Oh shoot. I don't think there's a time I haven't seen a bulge or two on one of Duff's cakes. Seriously. Sometimes, it's smoke and mirrors. Even he has said "you decorate to hide the flaws"...something to that effect.

I heard Sylvia Weinstock say once that what makes a professinal cake artist is'nt whether or not they make mistakes but how well they cover up those mistakes!
Of course that's not the exact quote but pretty close, and I remember her words everytime I make a mistake and just do my best to cover it up.

jillmakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillmakescakes Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 1:16am
post #12 of 14

a little tip that I've noticed between professional cakes and amatuer cakes is proportion. I know that many amateur decorators use the same size tips because that's all they have. When you make a bigger cake, you may need to use bigger dimensions.

Also, really think about the board as part of the cake. Having a clean, finished board really makes a cake look good.

Lastly, "strategic placement" is a must.

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 3:23am
post #13 of 14

Rylan! your cakes are lovely....stop telling us you don't produce professional looking cakes!!!!!!!!!!

cakesweetiecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesweetiecake Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 2:40pm
post #14 of 14

Great tips given!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%