Airbrush

Decorating By Hovde Updated 18 Oct 2009 , 1:53am by UberSpoonyG

Hovde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hovde Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 3:39am
post #1 of 24

can you airbrush fondant? If so does the color come on better?

23 replies
sugarMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarMomma Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 6:16am
post #2 of 24

Sure you can airbrush fondant. Not sure what you mean by "does color come on better"...

sugarMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarMomma Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 6:17am
post #3 of 24

Sure you can airbrush fondant. Not sure what you mean by "does color come on better"...

Malakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Malakin Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 12:47pm
post #4 of 24

Absolutely you can... As far as the color, it takes a lot less time to airbrush a red or a black like in my pics, then it does to color the fondant (which kills my arms and uses so much coloring). "Be careful not to touch it after you airbrush cause the color will brush off and leave a white spot which I haven't learned how to fix yet. I'm wanting to try to airbrush gumpaste flowers next!

cakebaker1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1957 Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 8:36pm
post #5 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malakin

Absolutely you can... As far as the color, it takes a lot less time to airbrush a red or a black like in my pics, then it does to color the fondant (which kills my arms and uses so much coloring). "Be careful not to touch it after you airbrush cause the color will brush off and leave a white spot which I haven't learned how to fix yet. I'm wanting to try to airbrush gumpaste flowers next!

Malakin, im in the process of buying a Airbrush machine, which one would you recommend ? Thank You Oh im sorry i am so new to airbrushing although im pretty good at drawing, so any info on what to buy would help icon_wink.gif

Malakin Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 11:25am
post #6 of 24

My daughter bought me this one. It's not the cheapest, but medium priced. It comes with EVERYTHING needed to start. I love the colors and after a year, I've still not run out. She got me the ABD Kit cake - 20. They even support you with help over the phone on how to hook it up. Men seem to know these things but I had never touched anything like that before in my life. The guy said at tcp global, that we could buy a more expensive one, but it would probably be too complicated for me. I love it.
http://www.tcpglobal.com/airbrushdepot/cakesys.aspx
I think it came to under $160.00 for shipping and handling.

cakebaker1957 Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 11:27am
post #7 of 24
Quote:

My daughter bought me this one. It's not the cheapest, but medium priced. It comes with EVERYTHING needed to start. I love the colors and after a year, I've still not run out. She got me the ABD Kit cake - 20. They even support you with help over the phone on how to hook it up. Men seem to know these things but I had never touched anything like that before in my life. The guy said at tcp global, that we could buy a more expensive one, but it would probably be too complicated for me. I love it.

Wow, Is this including the compressor?

Barb1959 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Barb1959 Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 11:31am
post #8 of 24
Quote:

Question - does the color ever try or do you mean just to not touch it until it dries. Never worked with it but want to try.

cakebaker1957 Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 12:23pm
post #9 of 24
Quote:

Thank You i went on there website, and its between the one you got or the 99.00 dollar one(:

Malakin Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 7:20pm
post #10 of 24

I honestly had problem with the first compressor unit they sent. For some reason, it wouldn't turn on. Factory defect. I got all upset and started freaking out I would have to pay shipping and all to send it back before they would send me another.
All I did was call the company, explained the problem and the man said, "no problem, we'll send you another one out right away and just throw the broken one away, don't even ship it back"!!! And they did.....it's worked great ever since....

cakebaker1957 Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 7:43pm
post #11 of 24
Quote:

I honestly had problem with the first compressor unit they sent. For some reason, it wouldn't turn on. Factory defect. I got all upset and started freaking out I would have to pay shipping and all to send it back before they would send me another.
All I did was call the company, explained the problem and the man said, "no problem, we'll send you another one out right away and just throw the broken one away, don't even ship it back"!!! And they did.....it's worked great ever since....

Im glad there easy to deal with

UberSpoonyG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
UberSpoonyG Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 5:47am
post #12 of 24

Hi Cakebaker !!
I agree with everything Malakin wrote, Fondant is the best surface by far for Airbrushing on,detail,line work and color saturation is by far better then buttercream frosting.
And yes barb, the paint does dry it just takes a while..so dont touch!! lol.
Enjoy your foray into the Airbrushing scene, your going to love it immensely!
Live to Paint, paint to Live! thumbs_up.gif

UberSpoonyG Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 11:30pm
post #13 of 24

oops, I had wronge blogspot on my signature!! its corrected now!

wildwolves Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wildwolves Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 2:30am
post #14 of 24

i really want to try airbrushing too, but i can't get those machines and colours from tcpglobal cause of the dangerous goods law here in OZ. does anyone know where i can get colours and machines here in Australia? Sorry for hijacking your thread Hovde.. just thought id ask while on the subject.. icon_smile.gif good luck trying it all out!

UberSpoonyG Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 2:28am
post #15 of 24

Hello Wildwolves!!
.....Well, finding Airbrushes in other countries can be a challange but not unsurmountable......You'll need to think outside the box to find some things,think of non-traditional ways the airbrush is used, Like in the big company catalouges that deal in the metals crafts,automotive,farming, agricultural...all of these specialty industries use similar tools to all of us for different applications....such as say, Agriculture..they would use air painting devices that would mark to identifie like say, a few to a 100 sheep,cattle, horses, Roo's etc. with a brand that doesnt touch creature,doesnt hurt creature, doesnt spook a creature and is semi-permanet for the time that identification is crucial...as in cattle runs,market selling, competition and contest events.
....Other Industries need ways of painting mass and small numbers of products or equipment with a even smooth, professional, quick coating of durable paint to protect and identifie its hazard, catagory or filing location....as well as needing air run devices to touch up old,worn and even new equipment to keep looking top-notch and proffessional.
...Another source: Austria a Big Beautiful Country with many fantastic Artist, where ever there are artist,there is specialty equipment they need that other people cant even concieve, local schools,universities, colleges and dont forget the ever hip and trendy Coffee Shoppes and cafes..they often have Artist starving to help you understand and know them, a well known hang out of the Bohimian Artsy Community.
...I dont want to talk your head off, but those are some ideas....see-it,desire-it, then seek it.
...When you get what you Desire, you will wonder what took you so long.
......Seeing your beautiful Creative Cake Work and adance technique skills, I know you would flourish incrediabily with this extremely useful Tool...Your work is excellent already.
...................................Live to Create, Create to Live !!

shanasweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanasweets Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 2:58am
post #16 of 24

2 questions in regard to above machine,
1. can you regulate the psi- i assume you can - but i have never owned one so have to ask

2 i know you have to have more psi when spraying luster dust ect. what psi is best for doing that. It looks like the one you have goes to 65 which i think is good. right?/

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 3:14am
post #17 of 24

I have the same one that she was talking about and yes it does have a pressure regulator as well as moisture trap (not sure of the actual word) I have used it several times and so far I have been pleased with it. I just wish that I could take some lessons

wildwolves Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wildwolves Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 3:39am
post #18 of 24

SpoonyG Thanks so much for the inspiration! I have been on the prowl and i have come across some artists that are using airbrushes so im looking into their machines.. I also have been chatting to a friend who suggested an airbrush for model trains and cars so thats another avenue that im investigating! Thankyou for the comments on my cakes.. I'm just a beginner.. but with each cake my skills are progressing..icon_smile.gif Your cakes look unreal! hopefully with some practise i can get to be half as good as you! icon_biggrin.gif Thanks again..

FH_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FH_Cakes Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 5:43pm
post #19 of 24

I was just reading the specs on the TCP Global Airbrush (ABD KIT-CAKE-20). It says the PSI is set to start @ 30, I thought we needed to keep PSI under 20? Can these be adjusted on the machine?

shanasweets Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 8:29pm
post #20 of 24

I am confused because I thought the default set at 30 was the max, not the min. hope someone with one of these machines can clarify. can you start at 0 psi and go up.

UberSpoonyG Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 11:05pm
post #21 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by sltoklahoma

I am confused because I thought the default set at 30 was the max, not the min. hope someone with one of these machines can clarify. can you start at 0 psi and go up.

Hello sltokla !....
Intersting question, as far as i know,regulators on compressors dont tell you the minimun air-pressure or(PSI's) ....some compressors dont have a regulator gauge so it would just reach maximuim PSI's.
I imagine there is always the exception to anything so I could be uninformed. Heck,you can only go up from zero, its hard to imagine there not being a error somewhere in the instructions or interpetation of instructions.
...I beg your pardon if I am wronge.
..........................Live to Paint, Paint to live!

FH_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FH_Cakes Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 11:14pm
post #22 of 24

I just re-read it. It says: Auto Stop at 60 PSI, Auto Start at 30 PSI but then it also says Working Pressure: 15-35 PSI

I am confused....

shanasweets Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 11:20pm
post #23 of 24

Ok I am totally nuts it does say auto start at 30 psi. But would this be to strong, does this come with a manual to tell you how to lower the psi auto start. Oh heck I just need to figure out where I misplaced my discover and order the dog gon thing. Thanks alot

UberSpoonyG Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 1:53am
post #24 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by FH_Cakes

I just re-read it. It says: Auto Stop at 60 PSI, Auto Start at 30 PSI but then it also says Working Pressure: 15-35 PSI

I am confused....

........LOL.....Pardon me for chuckling, I know it can seem quite confusing at times,but the learning curve is extremely fast, because the effects are so beautiful.
.....Everything you red is correct....they just mean that unless you have a reason for it that they dont know, that you should set the regulator, that controls how much air you get to your Airbrush from the tank, should be no higher then 35 Pounds per square inch (PSI's), much higher pressure then that and you cause unwanted holes and spiderwebbing on whatever you are working on.
....Below 15 PSI's and the paint could start spattering out the tip from lack of stronge enough air-pressure....a nice effect if your looking for it......This effect is also what a spritzer does.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%