Shipping Cakes So They End Up Making A Safe Tavel? Help

Decorating By CarrieBear Updated 12 Oct 2009 , 3:05pm by Lett

CarrieBear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarrieBear Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 7:12pm
post #1 of 11

ok Im sure there have got to be other posts about this somewhere.

If you ship cakes how do you do it so they make a safe travel to their destination, I want to ship a cake to a friend in another state for her birthday but dont want it to get completely wrecked in the process icon_sad.gif
It would be a fondant cake...
any thoughts or ideas on this is appreciated!! icon_smile.gif

10 replies
CarrieBear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarrieBear Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 9:13pm
post #2 of 11

anyone? icon_sad.gif

audrey0522 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
audrey0522 Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 9:28pm
post #3 of 11

There have been other discussions and from what I remember there really isn't a good and reasonably priced way to do it.

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 9:41pm
post #4 of 11

Why don't you call fed-Ex and see what they suggest. The only decorator I've seen or heard of shipping cakes is Sylvia Weinstock. E-mail her and see what they do.

momma28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momma28 Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 2:08pm
post #5 of 11

I am going to experience this for myself this week. My friend in NJ is begging me to ship a coach purse cake for her sisters birthday. I agreed with the understanding that I couldnt guarantee that it would arrive unharmed. I am making it laying down spilling it out its contents instead of standing straight up and down. I am also cutting the plywood cake board the EXACT same size as the box I am using so it wont shift at all. Glueing cake board to bottom of the box so it wont "jump". Screwing dowels through the bottom of the board and dropping cake onto them instead of from the top down so it is well attached to the board itself. Fedex told me they cannot guarantee safe arrival because of the conveyor system they use to sort but that fragile items get shipped all the time without damage. I am going to chill the cake overnight (yes I refrigerate my fondant cakes, I know thats another forum topic all together LOL) and deliver it right at 6 pm (the latest drop off time) and ship it overnight so she gets it by 10 am. It is pricey but her brother in law is covering shipping.

Lett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lett Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 2:18pm
post #6 of 11

HI EVERYONE:

THE (2) HANDBAG CAKES A L.VUITTON AND FENDI BAG I MADE HAS REACHED FLORIDA IN ONE PIECE.

I ORDERED A COOLER KIT FROM A PACKAGING COMPANY THAT CAME WITH A COOLER, GEL PACKS AND THE BOX MARKED PERSHIBABLE. I MADE THE CAKES AND REFRIGERATED THEM THEN WRAPPED THEM IN PLASTIC WRAP AND FROZE THEM IN THE FREEZER OVERNIGHT THE MORNING I WAS SHIPPING I PLACED THE FROZEN GEL PACKS AROUND THE CAKES AND WRAPPED THEM IN BUBBLE WRAP FOR PROTECTION. I USED EXPRESS MAIL VIA THE POST OFFICE WHICH COST $63 FED EX WANTED $114.

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR WONDERFUL SUGGESTIONS AND GUIDANCE. MY HEART WAS IN MY HAND. THANKS AGAIN EVERYONE.

momma28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momma28 Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 2:25pm
post #7 of 11

WOW GREAT!!! you wrapped them in plastic wrap? how did it not marr the fondant as if thawed and would sweat? I have to do this thursday so I am anxious to know thanks icon_biggrin.gif

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 2:35pm
post #8 of 11

How on earth....seriously?

Lett Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 2:48pm
post #9 of 11

I refrigerated it first then the cake board larger than the cake so i wrapped it like i was putting into a shopping bag so it didn't touch the logo, etc. then froze it over night and the morning of the shipping it was in the frozen cooler with frozen gel packs surrounding it so it arrived frozen because i shipped it to arrive the next morning.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 2:53pm
post #10 of 11

Good to know it really worked out!

Lett Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 3:05pm
post #11 of 11

thank you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%