How Much Filling Do You Use?

Decorating By ranbel Updated 11 Oct 2009 , 7:54pm by indydebi

ranbel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ranbel Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 6:17pm
post #1 of 18

When filling between layers, how thick do you go with filling. I will be putting a dam around the edge to keep it from seeping, but how thick or thin do you go with the filling?

Thanks

17 replies
chinadoll652003 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chinadoll652003 Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 6:42pm
post #2 of 18

If your torting your cakes I've always done a quarter of an inch between each layer. If your doing just a single layer then I usually use about a 1/2" to 1" filling. Hope this helps.

ranbel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ranbel Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 7:21pm
post #3 of 18

ok thanks. I do have another question. I will be filling on Friday night for a saturday serving, will it hold up ok. I guess my question is, will it make the cake soggy near where the filling is?

chinadoll652003 Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 7:44pm
post #4 of 18

What kind of filling are you using? Ive used all different types of fillings and never had a problem with sogginess. Just remember that some fillings need to be refrigerated.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 8:56pm
post #5 of 18

I have found that using the sleeve fillings, they dont' soak into the cake. One time, in an emergency, I had to run to walmart and use strawberry jam or preserves and when I cut the cake at the wedding, it was AWFUL! THe filling changed color (it looked brown instead of red) and it had soaked into the cake (my sleeve fillings NEVER soak into the cake!) so it looked like there wasn't hardly any filling.

I'm making sure I'm never out of a filling I need again!

chinadoll, 1" of filling? Really? Wow, that sounds like a lot. You dont' have any sliding issues with that much? My only slider cake was partially due to too much filling (and partially due to the dumbass who slammed on his brakes in front me! icon_mad.gif )

chinadoll652003 Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 9:30pm
post #6 of 18

Indydebi as long as I make a tunnel and I'm usung a thick filling like mousse I've never had a problem with sliding. I did one time when I didn't make the tunnel and OMG I couldn't get the icing to stay in place due to the filling and sliding! After that I learned my lesson and made a tunnel. I agree with you I don't like jams and preserves. They just sink into the cake and turn brown (ugh). I love, love, love the filling sleeves.

indydebi Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 9:43pm
post #7 of 18

gotcha! thumbs_up.gif appreciate the extra info!

JenWhitlock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenWhitlock Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 10:07pm
post #8 of 18

I torte and use 1/4" of filling too.
I really like the raspberry filling recipe on here (frozen raspberries cooked down with sugar and water, then add some cornstarch)
I've added this and Smuckers Simply Fruit to my merginue buttercream per the WBH and it's always been awesome!
Someday I'll try the sleeves icon_smile.gif

stampinron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stampinron Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 11:41pm
post #9 of 18

What do we mean when we say "tunnel" ? Is that another way to say "dam" ?

chinadoll652003 Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 2:24am
post #10 of 18

Yes, sorry I meant a dam.

akgirl10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
akgirl10 Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 3:04am
post #11 of 18

I like to torte all of my cakes so I can spread the filling thinly, but there's still enought of it. Sometimes my lemon curd soaks into the cake, but I think the result is very yummy. I've never tried the filling sleeves, but want to. Which brands do y'all use? They seem pretty inexpensive too. What do you do with the leftovers if you're filling a small cake?

indydebi Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 3:13am
post #12 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by akgirl10

What do you do with the leftovers if you're filling a small cake?

it keeps just short of forever in the 'frig.

jillangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillangel Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 4:36pm
post #13 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenWhitlock

I torte and use 1/4" of filling too.
I really like the raspberry filling recipe on here (frozen raspberries cooked down with sugar and water, then add some cornstarch)
I've added this and Smuckers Simply Fruit to my merginue buttercream per the WBH and it's always been awesome!
Someday I'll try the sleeves icon_smile.gif

I know the cake can stay unrefrigerated with premade sleeve fillings but would I need to keep refrigerated with that raspberry filling recipe with frozen raspberries? Thanks.

JenWhitlock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenWhitlock Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 5:31pm
post #14 of 18

I can't give you a definite answer, but I think of the raspberry filling like jam - refigerate. When I mix it with buttercream, I believe that the buttercream stablizes it and then it needs less refrigeration - but don't quote me on that!

jillangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillangel Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 5:50pm
post #15 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenWhitlock

I can't give you a definite answer, but I think of the raspberry filling like jam - refigerate. When I mix it with buttercream, I believe that the buttercream stablizes it and then it needs less refrigeration - but don't quote me on that!

LOL...quoting you but I agree with what you wrote (just wondering if maybe I were wrong) but I am under the same impression as you and do the exact same thing! Thanks.

indydebi Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 6:03pm
post #16 of 18

unless you use the sleeve raspberry filling .... it doesnt' need refrigerated as it is shelf stable.

Lisa7401 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa7401 Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 6:39pm
post #17 of 18

What is "sleeve filling" and where do you get it?

indydebi Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 7:54pm
post #18 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa7401

What is "sleeve filling" and where do you get it?

http://countrykitchensa.com/catalog/SearchResults.aspx
Put "filling" in the search field.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%