My Question For Today

Business By Kitagrl Updated 10 Oct 2009 , 6:39pm by redpanda

Kitagrl Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 3:44pm
post #1 of 21

"Do you accept food stamps for cake?"


What I wanted to say is "Honey if you are on food stamps then spend them on healthy food for your children like meat, potatoes, rice, fruit, and veggies....NOT fancy cakes."

What I did say is, "No, sorry, I work from home."

The call was from the children's hospital but they didn't tell me if they were a nurse or a parent or anything like that....

20 replies
JGMB Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 3:47pm
post #2 of 21

Oooooooh, I'm afraid you've opened a can of worms here, Kitagrl!!! I remember Leahs asking this exact same question when I first joined CC, and boy did the fur fly!!! It turned into a big argument about welfare, entitlement, etc.

Get ready for the fireworks!

Kitagrl Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 3:52pm
post #3 of 21

Oh well. She called back and is going to pay money for a cake.

I guess I won't comment on people who can afford over $100 worth of cake but are on food stamps.

Let the fireworks fly.

Lady_Phoenix Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 3:54pm
post #4 of 21

Kita, If someone asks that question, you pretty much know money is an object. You can refer them to http://www.freecakesforkids.com/ We are a group of bakers all over the country that do childrens birthday cakes at no cost to the family. All of our cakes are custom, its our way of making the world a sweeter place, one child at a time. There are links on the site to each of our bakers!

Kitagrl Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 3:56pm
post #5 of 21

If money is an object I go to the grocery store and buy one for eight bucks. As a matter of fact...growing up we weren't poor but we still had nothing but a homemade birthday cake every year...usually round iced with candies on it or something! Unless my grandma made us a fancier one which was only a few times.

cakesdivine Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 4:14pm
post #6 of 21

Next time you get that question (and you probably will) direct her towards her local grocer that has a bakery. Food stamps can be used there to buy a cake.

Kitagirl, I do understand why you would think that, but...and yes there is a but...LOL! Who are any of us to say that anyone is or isn't allowed to have cake for a special occasion just because they are on food stamps or welfare? I am sure that person does in fact use their food stamps to purchase food for their family, she just wanted a special cake for a special occasion. I mean was she trying to ask for a huge wedding cake for hundreds of people or just a nice cake for a special occasion? Or did the conversation even get that far? It is very possible that is was a parent who might be on food stamps due to their child having a severe medical condition such as cancer, and all their money goes to pay for that child's care. Once you said no, there would have been no point in that person continuing with a reason for their asking, or offering justification as to why they made that request. Not admonishing you at all. That would have been my first thought too, but only for a split second before the shock factor wore off, and my brain logged back in...LOL!

I think Leah S's issue was that they were wanting to purchase a very expensive wedding cake with foodstamps...That is why she raised an eyebrow, just as any would for those who have champagne tastes but want to pay beer prices for them.

Even those who are living on welfare and foodstamps deserve to have a fancy cake for a special event...but it needs to be within reason too, I mean they are only given X amount of dollars each month to use, therefore if they elect to blow them all on a cake instead of their daily food needs they will be the ones to suffer, not us.
And those that want to say "oh yes we do suffer because we are paying for it with our tax dollars"...that argument doesn't really apply here. We are always going to have to pay taxes and even if the government totally shut down the welfare and foodstamp programs, the government would find some other thing to tax us for to continue to get that money, do you really think they are going not charge us what they are already getting?...not in a million years...icon_wink.gif You know the old say...there are only 2 certanties in life...Death and Taxes! Have a great day everyone! I think we all deserve it!

cakesdivine Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 4:19pm
post #7 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

Oh well. She called back and is going to pay money for a cake.

I guess I won't comment on people who can afford over $100 worth of cake but are on food stamps.

Let the fireworks fly.





Maybe a family member or friend is going to help them pay for the cake, and that is why she called back. Maybe she had your cake somewhere else and really wants one from you and not a grocery store. You didn't say how "involved" this cake is going to be or how large of an event either.

Kitagrl Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 4:55pm
post #8 of 21
Quote:
Quote:

Even those who are living on welfare and foodstamps deserve to have a fancy cake for a special event..




I disagree with this...I deserve nothing. We deserve life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

"Pursuit of happiness" does not mean having everything your neighbor has. It means if all you can afford is a round cake with an edible image of Elmo on it, you don't have to spend money you don't have on a big 3D sculpture of one.

And when I was a kid, I didn't feel slighted that all I had was a round chocolate iced birthday cake. I think its the parents who care more than the kids.

All I'm saying is that if a person is going to spend $120 on a birthday cake, then that means they have CASH and that means...why do they need to get food stamps? That's a week's worth of groceries right there! Honestly, the people with money are more thrifty than the people without it...which is why the people without it are without it. Its sad, really. I could go into welfare and food stamp fraud too...people with PLENTY of cash who save it back for the fun stuff and use food stamps for the necessities...but I won't.

I realize we are going to disagree on this, and I'm not trying to cause a fight...but we are so spoiled in America and this entitlement attitude our generation has is SO wrong. We are "entitled" to shelter, some food, and clothes on our backs. We have SO much more than that. And so do most of the "poor" people in our country.

Mike1394 Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 5:00pm
post #9 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

Quote:
Quote:

Even those who are living on welfare and foodstamps deserve to have a fancy cake for a special event..



I disagree with this...I deserve nothing. We deserve life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

"Pursuit of happiness" does not mean having everything your neighbor has. It means if all you can afford is a round cake with an edible image of Elmo on it, you don't have to spend money you don't have on a big 3D sculpture of one.

And when I was a kid, I didn't feel slighted that all I had was a round chocolate iced birthday cake. I think its the parents who care more than the kids.

All I'm saying is that if a person is going to spend $120 on a birthday cake, then that means they have CASH and that means...why do they need to get food stamps? That's a week's worth of groceries right there! Honestly, the people with money are more thrifty than the people without it...which is why the people without it are without it. Its sad, really. I could go into welfare and food stamp fraud too...people with PLENTY of cash who save it back for the fun stuff and use food stamps for the necessities...but I won't.

I realize we are going to disagree on this, and I'm not trying to cause a fight...but we are so spoiled in America and this entitlement attitude our generation has is SO wrong. We are "entitled" to shelter, some food, and clothes on our backs. We have SO much more than that. And so do most of the "poor" people in our country.




EXACTLY thumbs_up.gif

cakesdivine Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 6:59pm
post #10 of 21

Kitagrl - I LOVE how you took that statement out of context to quote it...

No seriously, I am laughing about this whole thing! And like I said earlier to some degree I do agree with you, but I have the fortunate or rather misfortunate ability to see both sides of this argument.

But I did qualify the statement taken out of context with the following...

"BUT IT NEEDS TO BE WITHIN REASON TOO! I mean they are only given X amount of dollars each month to use, therefore if they elect to blow them all on a cake instead of their daily food needs they will be the ones to suffer, not us.

(see above posts for remainder of this statement for contextual purposes)

And I don't agree with your statement of those that have money have money because they are frugal...BS! "case in point...Paris Hilton!" Those that are tightwads are only tightwads about certain things, in other areas they are extravagant. It just depends on where they put their priorities and who is anyone to say where anyone may or may not place their priorities.

You are making assumptions about your client to the negative. Maybe she is a mom who has a terminally ill child who may NOT see their next birthday so they want a 3D Elmo cake for what MAY be that child's last birthday, but because of the expense of the medical care the family is on welfare and/or food stamps. And maybe she borrowed the money or others pitched in for it. Did you ever consider that...afterall you were the one who said the call came from the Children's hospital, And to be my own devil's advocate...YES, maybe she is someone who is exploiting the system, AND IF SO, SHAME ON HER, but to judge her as guilty of that until proven innocent is totally out of sync with your "American Way - Life, Liberty, Pursuit of Happiness" mantra. Now I am not saying this is right...BUT, if providing a $120 cake for her child makes her happy then guess what...by her constitutional rights, she triumphed in the pursuit of happiness department. icon_wink.gif

I like you Kitagrl, you are an amazing cake artist and given great information on CC, keep it coming! And it's cool for us to agree to disagree, Heck that's the American way!

Kitagrl Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 7:07pm
post #11 of 21

I have no problem disagreeing. thumbs_up.gif

I am pretty sure she was staff.... she was on conference call with another woman with me, and the only way you could do that as a patient would be to each have your own cell phone (which would come up on caller ID as a cell phone).

I'm a pretty compassionate person but I am dead set against the welfare system in most cases....I feel if the country could go back to "neighbor helping neighbor" it would be alot better than forcefully using tax dollars as help. I'd rather give a cake away (and I've done it before) to someone in need rather to know my cake AND my taxes were going to them. And yes I"ve also purchased groceries for those in need as well (lest you guys think I have a heart of stone haha...and by the way my income is absolutely not too much...we barely reach middle class.) I've had a sister in law on welfare (she's in jail now, or was) and believe me, you can work the system and do quite well on it. I grew up in a very nice home but my parents were also frugal in many other ways...I didn't get the Nike's and Oreos that the other kids got...but those things are not part of the bill of rights.

If you study the history of welfare and government bailouts, there's alot to learn.

But then...this is a cake forum, not a political one. LOL! On the other hand, when one's job takes one into working with many different types of people, I suppose many controversial political situations can come up in a day's work.

By the way...speaking of cake...I'm experimenting today and my house smells like cake-batter-burned-on-the-bottom-of-the-oven. Wonder if I could patent that one with Yankee Candle? icon_lol.gif

LaBellaFlor Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 12:40am
post #12 of 21

You guys are so funny. Love hearing a debat like this. I agree with both of you, go figure. icon_wink.gif

LaBellaFlor Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 12:42am
post #13 of 21

And Kitarl, please don't patent that for a Yankee candle! icon_lol.gif

redpanda Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 2:28am
post #14 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl


By the way...speaking of cake...I'm experimenting today and my house smells like cake-batter-burned-on-the-bottom-of-the-oven. Wonder if I could patent that one with Yankee Candle? icon_lol.gif




I think that would be sold on the same shelf as "soup boiled over onto stove burner", which takes forever to dissipate. (Russian cabbage soup, and burned cabbage smells worse than just cooking cabbage!)

all4cake Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 2:51am
post #15 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl



The call was from the children's hospital but they didn't tell me if they were a nurse or a parent or anything like that....




It would break my heart to think that there may be a child in the hospital on/around his/her birthday with something serious enough (or even terminal) to have a parent want to get that child whatever he/she wanted in order to make whatever happened not seem so bad...even for a little while. and possibly consider putting off the light bill or some other bill in order to get a cake from a "special cake lady" instead of the bakery.

I know none of that was ever brought up and no one knows what actually is going on...but I wouldn't be able to not think about that if I'd gotten a call like that. Seriously, I couldn't help but think...what if she's trying to maintain and really doesn't want a handout on top of being on foodstamps...

Is there a full moon...or maybe it's what's that called when you get to a certain age and things start going kaput...with hot flashes...crap! 7year itch...nooooooo...whatever it is...

ETA: ah ha! menofreakinpause!!!!

Kitagrl Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 3:10am
post #16 of 21

I really think if it was a mom she would have mentioned that... I'm pretty sure these were nurses aides or something. I periodically get calls from nurses anyway if they have time to sit at their desks and look through cake websites. haha.

all4cake Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 3:15am
post #17 of 21

I wouldn't mention it.

That's another sad situation....healthcare professionals, teachers, and the military ....their salaries place them on the poverty level....too sad...those with so much responsibility....

julzs71 Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 4:25am
post #18 of 21

I have a sister on foodstamps...believe me it isn' enough to get through the month. She is living with me right now until she can get up on her feet.
That being said, I would kick her butt if she came home with a 120 dollar cake when her foodstamps don't even make it through the month and I pay the difference for her and her kids. She gets 470 for her and her two kids. One is 17 years old and is a growing boy, who loves to eat. I would get upset if they came home with candybars and chips. 470 does not go far.
Her kids don't deserve a $120 cakes. If she wants a cake for a birthday she can make one and ice it up. It would mean more to her kids anyway.
I do think the welfare system is broke. My sister is honestly deserving. She has lupus and arthritis, and tons of other medical problems. However, my son just told me about these two kids that are getting social security because they are drug addicts. My son is in 7th grade. Crazy

Lady_Phoenix Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 3:10pm
post #19 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by julzs71

That being said, I would kick her butt if she came home with a 120 dollar cake when her foodstamps don't even make it through the month and I pay the difference for her and her kids. She gets 470 for her and her two kids. One is 17 years old and is a growing boy, who loves to eat. I would get upset if they came home with candybars and chips. 470 does not go far.
Her kids don't deserve a $120 cakes. If she wants a cake for a birthday she can make one and ice it up. It would mean more to her kids anyway.




While I agree that our welfare system is in need of repair, I disagree that because of their parents circumstances, the kids do not deserve a special cake. EVERY child deserves to feel special, especially on their birthday!

Most of the cakes I make are for a foster care facility where the kids have little if any contact with their parents. The facility always made sure the kids got a cake from the grocery store. When I took my first cake to them, the recipient was a 16 year old boy. He burst into tears when he saw his cake, because it reflected all the things he loves. He said that no one had ever taken the time to do anything so nice for him.

A family I made cakes for last year has 2 kids. One is special needs and severely handicapped. BOTH parents work but between the cost of their childs medical needs and therapy, etc they barely make ends meet. They could have gotten a box mix and made it for their kids, sure. But why not let their kids have the cake they dream of, one made JUST for them and not one anyone could buy at the store or whip up out of a box, just once in their lifes?

If I can make one childs life happier, then the time and money I donate to do so is more than repaid. If someone asks me about taking food stamps for a cake, I talk to them and find out their circumstances. If they are in need, I am there. Now THAT is neighbor helping neighbor!

mim1106 Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 4:23pm
post #20 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

I really think if it was a mom she would have mentioned that... I'm pretty sure these were nurses aides or something. I periodically get calls from nurses anyway if they have time to sit at their desks and look through cake websites. haha.




This is totally off subject, but this made me laugh out loud. I am a nurse, there are nurses that actually have time to sit and browse the internet??

redpanda Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 6:39pm
post #21 of 21

I could be totally off-base, but it seems to me a plausible explanation would be that a hospital staff member might have been calling on behalf of a parent (who either doesn't speak English or was embarrassed to even be asking). If their child is critically or even terminally ill, they may not even be living at home right now. They may be living in temporary housing (e.g., motel, Ronald McDonald House if available), to be near their sick child. This would render making their own cake pretty much impossible.

It might be somebody trying to get something for nothing, who doesn't deserve it. It might not be. I don't think we have enough information.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%