Help - Question About Chocolate Mmf

Baking By Magna Updated 14 Oct 2009 , 5:56pm by wchendrix

Magna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Magna Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 3:21pm
post #1 of 5

I made chocolate MMF yesterday for the first time, used regular MMF recipe added 6 oz melted chocolate, 2tbsp cocoa powder. No problems rolling out, easy to work with, except when it is roles out, it has pores, not bubbles, kind of looks like old worn out leather. Can I still fix it, what would I need to add? Any help would be appreciated.

4 replies
cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 10:18pm
post #2 of 5

When I make my Chocolate MMF I don't use chocolate, I only use cocoa. Never any problems Maybe it is the chocolate making it porous.

wchendrix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wchendrix Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 6:42pm
post #3 of 5

i have the same problem and i didnt use the melted chocolate only the cocoa powder. The fondant tastes great, its just not smooth when i roll it out. I thought maybe I had it too dry so i added more crisco, but it still was not right

egensinnig Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
egensinnig Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 7:03pm
post #4 of 5

Knead it, knead it, knead it and then knead it again....You need to work chocolate MMF a lot more than normal MMF. And keep adding Crisco. This will give you a pliable and shiny MMF that doesn't have the pores.
Once you have achieved the right result after a lot of kneadign you'll understand what a difference it makes. Take a lump at a time and knead it well and then combine the amount you need to roll out

wchendrix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wchendrix Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 5:56pm
post #5 of 5

i trashed the other batch, well at least what was left of it after the kids ate what they wanted. they said it tastes like tootsie rolls! I am going to try it again tonight and follow your directions. I hope it turns out, if not i'm going to do the chocolate rolled buttercream, maybe i will have better luck with that.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%