How Did They Do This?!?!

Decorating By emiyeric Updated 9 Oct 2009 , 11:21pm by emiyeric

emiyeric Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emiyeric Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 12:12am
post #1 of 11

Hey guys! I'm going to try to post this picture here in a minute, but in case it doesn't work, it's one of the "most saved" cakes of the day ... "Waves of love" or something along those lines, the sea-themed cake by Ashley Howard with the sea horses at the top. How, oh HOW, did she do the foam effect at the tip of her waves? I'm assuming the very tips are globs piped on and sprinkled with sugar, but the "back" of the foam looks like it might be spread or "dragged" onto the fondant wave? ... I'm not experienced enough to figure it out, but I LOVE it! And it says it's by Ashley Howard, but it doesn't say who actually posted the pic, so I don't know how to contact the artist to ask.

Thanks for any insight you might have! Let's see if I can post this thing ..[/img]

10 replies
emiyeric Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 12:13am
post #2 of 11

Okay, I'm a tehcnological fiasco .... here's the link. I LOVE this cake!!!

Thanks!

-Emi.

letsgetcaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
letsgetcaking Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 12:20am
post #3 of 11

Is this the one? I don't know how it was done, but I'd love to learn, too!
LL

CelebrationCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CelebrationCakery Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 12:23am
post #4 of 11

It looks like royal icing to me...like it it piped on so it looks "fluffy" and then sprinkled with edible glitter...I hope the person that made it can help out....it sure is beautiful

CelebrationCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CelebrationCakery Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 12:25am
post #5 of 11

Oh...I forgot to add that I think each wave is an individual wave of marbled fondant and then dried and then the royal icing "fluffy" part added.....I wonder???

emiyeric Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 3:54am
post #6 of 11

Argh! I didn't even realize I hadn't posted the link! Yes, that's exactly the cake I mean .... soooooo pretty! I'm guessing the cake was actually posted by someone other than the artist, but we can't really even see who posted it (unusual ... not sure how it was set up). Yeah, it looks like piped icing, I think, but when you look at the close-ups, it looks far more blended ... like they "scraped" it over the fondant wave to soften the look, if that makes sense.

Thanks for your suggestions! icon_smile.gif

KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 4:18am
post #7 of 11

I saw this cake at the show and looked at it up close. The waves themselves are made from fondant and it looked like she used royal icing on the edges of the fondant.

Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 4:25am
post #8 of 11

What a lovely cake! I would do GP waves - you can roll it thinner so it won't be so heavy!

letsgetcaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
letsgetcaking Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 1:10pm
post #9 of 11

I have an idea about how the artist could have blended the foam back. Maybe she piped the royal icing on and used a brush to pull it back slightly over the wave, similar to the brush embroidery technique.

http://www.sugarcraft.com/catalog/misc/lessons/brushembr.htm

Hmmm...apparently I'm not allowed to link to that site. Oops.

KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 4:41pm
post #10 of 11

Here is a photo we took at the show....a close-up of the waves. It truly was one of my favorite cakes at the show.
LL

emiyeric Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 11:21pm
post #11 of 11

Thanks, guys! And I LOVE the idea of the brush embroidery technique, letsgetcaking! Thanks so much for your suggestions!

-EMi.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%