Fondant On Square Cake

Decorating By Ladybug09 Updated 9 Oct 2009 , 4:37am by Ladybug09

Ladybug09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladybug09 Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 9:49pm
post #1 of 7

This seems to give me the most trouble. I'm still kind of a rookie at this but I swear out of everything I have done, I still have trouble mastering the square cakes. I have heard several times, that you should do the corners first, but I always end up with too much fondant on the sides. The result is a lot of bunching up. Fortunately I have been able to cover up most of the bunching with trims & cutouts etc but I am about to emark on square cakes for a wedding that will have no trim. Sometimes the corners will crack as well, which I am assuming is because I'm rolling the fondant too thin?

Please help!! What am I doing wrong?

TIA!

6 replies
AverageMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AverageMom Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 9:53pm
post #2 of 7

Trust me, it comes easier with practice. Do the corners first, and then gently work toward the centre of each side. Don't pull the fondant down at all.
If it is cracking on the corners at the top, your fondant is too thin or dry.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 10:04pm
post #3 of 7

My corners crack sometimes too and the other reason is if your fondant is too heavy, actually...if its draping far down the sides of the cake the weight will pull it down on a nice sharp buttercream corner and begin to crack it a bit. Try to make sure your edges don't overhang super long, and make sure the edges aren't thicker and heavier than the middle...and promptly cut off any excess with scissors before you start smoothing it down.

Then yep corners first, and then smooth the sides gradually, pulling the fondant out with one hand and pressing it down gradually with the other.

sols Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sols Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 10:07pm
post #4 of 7

It does come easier with practice. I find that it helps to roll the fondant a little thicker than I usually would. Lorraine Mckay has a very helpful video on covering square cakes on you tube. Seach for her channel; aine2.

Ladybug09 Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 4:20am
post #5 of 7

Thanks for your replies. I will look for the video on YouTube, also.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 4:35am
post #6 of 7

Check the link on my signature. There is a video of how to cover a square cake.

Ladybug09 Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 4:37am
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rylan

Check the link on my signature. There is a video of how to cover a square cake.

Great...Thank you!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%