Banana Pudding Cake Suggestions?

Baking By Jennzoe333 Updated 10 Oct 2009 , 8:04pm by AmyLucy

Jennzoe333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jennzoe333 Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 9:12pm
post #1 of 3

So I'm making a cake for my Dad's birthday later this month and his favorite dessert was my grandma's simple very Southern banana pudding. You know, the plain vanilla pudding with bananas and Nilla wafers in it? So I was thinking of making him a banana pudding cake and was planning on using this with the addition of Nilla wafers in the filling:

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/2843/banana-doctored-cake-mix-with-banana-cream-filling

I'm going to be covering in fondant for sure, and am trying to figure out what to put between the cake and the fondant. My Dad's favortie liqueur is Amaretto so I was thinking maybe an amaretto buttercream and then just a vanilla fondant? Is amaretto a good match with bananas? Should i flavor the fondant? What do you guys think? I'm at a loss on covering the cake! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

2 replies
AmyLucy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmyLucy Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 8:01pm
post #2 of 3

Hi...I made a groom's cake for my little brother. All he likes besides white cake is banana pudding. Natuarally, I tried to create a cake that tasted like banana pudding.

I made the WASC cake. For the filling, I used Bavarian creme filling bought from a cake store in the little pre-packaged sleeves. I added lots of thinly sliced bananas to the Bavarian creme and mixed it together to use as a filling. It was fabulous!!! The B. creme took on the flavor of the bananas. It was so yummy that I ate the extra straight from the bowl by the spoonful! icon_rolleyes.gif

I would warn against any artificial banana flavoring. We tried it. We used banana flavored cake in the WASC cake mix. In a separate trial, we added banana flavoring to the regular WASC recipe. On all accounts, it tasted great with one bite! However, the banana flavor was so intense that there is no way you could eat an entire slice of cake. It was very overpowering.

We covered our cake with vanilla fondant and a thin layer of white buttercream. I think it all helped achieve the flavor we were looking for. I would defnitely recommend trying this if you want a Banana Pudding flavored cake. Hope this helps and good luck! icon_biggrin.gif

AmyLucy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmyLucy Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 8:04pm
post #3 of 3

Oh, we also tried flavoring the icing with mashed bananas...slid right of the cake! icon_cry.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%