Any Nc Licensed Home Bakers: Your Thoughts Please!

Business By revskg Updated 7 Oct 2009 , 3:23pm by all4cake

revskg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
revskg Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 12:29pm
post #1 of 8

For any of you with a licensed home bakery in North Carolina: Can you tell me about your experience with the licensing and home inspection process? I am just setting up my kitchen, and I would appreciate any tips about what to expect and what to do to prep for the inspection.

Thanks
sherry g in Wake County

7 replies
all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 1:29pm
post #2 of 8

Sherry, as long as your kitchen/prep area is clean...it has covers over the lighting...a thermometer in the fridge (and it's reading proper storing temp) and in the freezer (if you're using one)...your area has scrubbable surfaces (some wallpapers are porous and are not acceptable for example)...label and date your ingredients if they've been removed from original packaging. (as a precaution, I keep the ingredient list and lot numbers from the original packaging when I transfer for storage)...nothing should be stored directly on top of fridge or freezer...make sure you thoroughly clean your mixer(nooks and crannies for sure)...water temperature should run at a temp conducive to thorough cleaning/sanitizing (I'm thinking it's 160)....have sanitizing method in place (whether you use commercial sanitizer or the bleach/water method) and the appropriate test strips...no inside pets...if you've got issues with pests, you must have a plan in place to keep them at bay(a contract for their services that includes their name and address ...)...a separate handwashing area (a nearby bathroom will suffice) supplied with papertowels and handsoap....

There may be more stuff I've forgotten to include. Please, keep in mind, that although the Dept. of Agriculture goes by general guidelines as well as a standard compliance checklist, each inspector is different and may do things differently than an inspector for another area.

There is truly nothing to panic about. If they spot something, they will let you know what it is...if it's major, they'll have you call them when it's taken care of...if it's minor....SOMETIMES, they'll go on your word that you'll get it taken care of...

Mine didn't, but I have heard of others that their inspector required them to go through the motions of making something so they could see how clean they work....

UpAt2am Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
UpAt2am Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 1:47pm
post #3 of 8

i just talked to my kitchen inspector and he said that NC is a unique state in that they inspect you and you're passed right away. now that's not to say that they won't find things that you need to change or do... but they don't come back to make sure you've done them. we are very lucky to live in such a lenient state (i say this because my kitchen is clean...i am kind of disgusted that some kitchens will get passed maybe even when they shouldn't)!!!!!!!! the inspector did say that if something is just grotesque or if there are rodents everywhere then he wouldn't pass, but he would give them a chance to fix it...

snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 1:49pm
post #4 of 8

There is no such thing as a licensed home bakery in North Carolina. The Department of Agriculture does NOT license home food production facilities, they only inspect them. Licensing is done by either your town or your county and is a completely separate issue to the inspection.

all4cake Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 1:59pm
post #5 of 8

snarkybaker is correct...the DoA issues a 'certificate' of inspection. Licensing is subject to your city and/or county...just because you pass inspection doesn't mean you can legally operate your business. In another thread, I included several entities you should check with to make sure you are above board. I assume that the OP hasn't read that thread since she opted to start a separate one...I'll see if I can't locate that thread and post a link...

all4cake Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 2:04pm
post #6 of 8

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-604798-inspection.html

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=614781&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=inspection&&start=0

The city/county I reside doesn't require a separate inspection but each county/city has their own rules...it is better to check with EVERYONE just to be sure.

revskg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
revskg Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 3:07pm
post #7 of 8

Thanks to everyone for the info. I have previously read the separate posts about requirements, etc. And I did mean to use the term "inspected" rather than "licensed". What I was really looking for, rather than all the written stuff, was some info from those folks who have actually been through the inspection process so I know what to expect. Thanks to those who were/are willing to share their experiences. It will help me not be so nervous about the whole process.

sherry g

all4cake Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 3:23pm
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by revskg

Thanks to everyone for the info. I have previously read the separate posts about requirements, etc. And I did mean to use the term "inspected" rather than "licensed". What I was really looking for, rather than all the written stuff, was some info from those folks who have actually been through the inspection process so I know what to expect. Thanks to those who were/are willing to share their experiences. It will help me not be so nervous about the whole process.

sherry g

I apologize for the assumption icon_redface.gif but there are oodles of older threads that include posts from those in NC who have gone through the inspection and licensing process. I wanted to include, at the very least, the checklist (that's in the second link I shared) of other stuff necessary to complete (in retrospect, I would've registered my business name before the inspector came out...they can then include it on the form instead of you having to contact them with a name should you decide to get one).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%