My First Wedding Cake!!

Decorating By hedwards41302 Updated 9 Oct 2009 , 11:48am by KHalstead

hedwards41302 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hedwards41302 Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 5:34pm
post #1 of 18

The bride has requested a 3 tier square offset cake. She wants a champange ribbon around bottom of tiers and leaves coming off the sides. What do you think the best sizes for the cakes should be? I was thinking 14-12-8. Do you think that will look good? Or do I need to go with other sizes. She is needing it to feed 120 ppl. Also I'm really freaking out on how to make leaves look really good. Any suggestions. I'm so nervous but excited at the same time. Please help me, any feedback I get will help me out greatly! PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!!

17 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 6:03pm
post #2 of 18

I would do a 6-9-12. That will give you 130 servings, if they serve the top tier.

Your proposed sizes of 14-12-8 would serve 202!

UpAt2am Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
UpAt2am Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 6:15pm
post #3 of 18

sizing is subjective based on what chart you want to follow. as far as the leaves, i think the best leaves are thin, veined and curled slightly at the ends...looks more "real." what color does she want on the leaves? deep oranges, reds and greens are beautiful!

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 6:19pm
post #4 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpAt2am

sizing is subjective based on what chart you want to follow.

The industry standard is 1"x2"x4" = a serving. And that is PLENTY of cake for one person! If you use a larger serving size, then you are effectively giving cake away for free!

UpAt2am Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 6:30pm
post #5 of 18

i totally agree on that being a great standard size...just want to make sure the OP has informed her bride of the serving size since this is the OP's first wedding cake. if the bride wants a 202 serving size cake, she needs to pay for 202 servings for sure!!!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 6:40pm
post #6 of 18

I bought these to make leaves: http://crafts-sewing.hsn.com/studio-by-sculpey-shape-makers-leaf-set-iv_p-4131190_xp.aspx?webm_id=0&web_id=4131190&sf=ct&dept=ct0001&cat=ct0146&attr=1962&ocm=ct|ct0001|ct0146|1962&prev=hp!sf!1962!dept!cat&ccm=ct|ct0001|ct0146|1962 They're really easy to use. I got the set at Joanns with a coupon for $6. They're easy enough that my daughter who's 7 was using them last night to make leaves for her school contest cake and they were coming out great.

hedwards41302 Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 7:58pm
post #7 of 18

I see now what you are talking about with the slices. I was following the party cutting guide not the wedding from Wilton. See that is why I asked for other input from experienced cakers! Thank you so much! I'm so nervous. I will do the 12-9-6. I hope I can pull it all off! Please say a prayer for me! Any words of wisdom?? Thank you so much! The bride said I could do fake leaves(fondant) or leaves that u make an arrangement with. Any suggestions there?

hedwards41302 Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 7:59pm
post #8 of 18

Oh yeah another thing. She is wanting a ribbon at the bottom of the tiers. HOw do I do that w/o the crisco showing thru?

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 8:17pm
post #9 of 18

I just did a cake with ribbon around the bottom and some will tell you to iron wax paper onto the back or put scotch tape on the back, I'l attach a photo of a cake I just did and what I did was just take some shortening on a paper towel and greased all of the ribbons before I put them on the cake, this way they already absorbed as much grease as they could, so if they absorbed any from the cake it wouldn't be splotchy or spotty looking, it was even and uniform

By offset squares do you mean totally caddy cornered like the corner of the top and bottom tiers facing forward and the middle one has the flat side facing forward...or do you mean each one slightly turned?
If you're alternating point, flat side, point...you need to stack up the pans to make sure the sizes you quote will actually fit together without corners hanging off.

If you're doing each one slightly turned like this photo.......then you'll be fine. I used a 6",9" and 12" for this square cake as well.
LL
LL

hedwards41302 Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 8:23pm
post #10 of 18

Those are very pretty cakes. The ribbon looked great! Did it darken the color or it at all? No, the cake will be the totally caddy cornered. You think that 12-9-6 will be big enough? Or do I need to go with a bigger one? You guys do this all the time so I'm listening and taking it all in what you are telling me! Thank you

hedwards41302 Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 8:27pm
post #11 of 18

Texas_Rose ur link didn't go thru. Can you send it to me again. It said the page was no longer available. Thank you!

I bought these to make leaves: ct&dept=ct0001&cat=ct0146&attr=1962&ocm=ct|ct0001|ct0146|1962&prev=hp!sf!1962!dept!cat&ccm=ct|ct0001|ct0146|1962" target="_blank">http://crafts-sewing.hsn.com/s.....t0146|1962 They're really easy to use. I got the set at Joanns with a coupon for $6. They're easy enough that my daughter who's 7 was using them last night to make leaves for her school contest cake and they were coming out great.

Texas_Rose Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 8:33pm
post #12 of 18

Sorry, here's a link to it somewhere else: http://www.polymerclaysuperstore.com/Shape-Makers--Leaf-Set-4_p_225.html They're actually for clay but they work really well for fondant and they have the veiners with them which makes it a really, really good deal.

UpAt2am Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 12:26am
post #13 of 18

i agree with texas rose on the greasing the ribbon idea. i spent time putting contact paper on the back of all of my ribbon for a recent wedding cake i did. i put it on the cake and it was perfect. but eventually gravity took over and the grease in the bc just above the ribbon crept down. it didn't look bad and no one but me could have been able to tell, but next time, i'll just grease the ribbon and it will be fine. oh and yes, it does darken the color but only a teeny littile bit...could hardly tell. i'm sure some colors are worse than others so do a sample first!

as far as your pans fitting, just invert them right now and stack them, you'll see if they fit or don't!

for the leaves, it's up to you if you want to use silk leaves or make them out of fondant. with either, you will charge for your materials/ingredients and your time...but your fondant ones are obviously going to take you a lot longer than arranging silk, so make sure you charge accordingly.

and make sure you have a contract icon_smile.gif

KHalstead Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 12:42am
post #14 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by hedwards41302

Those are very pretty cakes. The ribbon looked great! Did it darken the color or it at all?

You can compare the dark pink ribbon on the cake to the dark pink ribbon on the board it is a tiny bit darker, but I just let the bride know that she needed to get ribbon 1 shade lighter than she wanted the end result!

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 12:43am
post #15 of 18

texas rose you got those at joann fabrics you mean?

Texas_Rose Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 12:52am
post #16 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by madgeowens

texas rose you got those at joann fabrics you mean?

Yes, at Joanns in the clay aisle. They have three other sets and I want want want them icon_biggrin.gif but haven't bought them yet. There's a set with ivy leaves and one with holly leaves, both of which seem really useful. I got the set with the gingko because I wanted to use the veiner on it for hibiscus, which worked well too. They have a set of 3 metal ball tools that's worth checking out too.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 2:59am
post #17 of 18

I would also go with a 6,9,12 combo. I like the same number of inches in between tiers.

KHalstead Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 11:48am
post #18 of 18

Texas rose are those the Donna Deweberry stuff?? Have you seen the impression mats too? They look really cool, every time I go to A.C. Moore I sit and stare at them and think of how cool different cookies would look with the patterns pressed into the fondant! Gotta love the clay tools!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%