Help With Fondant Figure Please!

Decorating By revel Updated 5 Oct 2009 , 8:30pm by CelebrationCakery

revel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
revel Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 5:04pm
post #1 of 7

I'm going to do a barn cake for a friend. She'd like a fondant figure dressed as a cowboy. She'd like him to be wearing a plaid shirt. I'm not sure how to do the "plaid" CAn anyone help? Do i paint it on the shirt? If i do what is the process in doing so? Do i have to mix my color with alcohol?

6 replies
Malakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Malakin Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 6:02pm
post #2 of 7

If I was going to do a plaid shirt, I would dye the fondant the base color, red for example, let it dry, then paint different black stripes in plaid pattern.

rohima Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rohima Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 6:33pm
post #3 of 7

I dont know if this will help but ainie2 has a video on youtube on you of how to colour your fondant to look like tartan.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 6:59pm
post #4 of 7

melvira did a plaid flannel shirt that turned out great. Send her a pm and I'm sure she'll tell you how she did it.

CelebrationCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CelebrationCakery Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 7:16pm
post #5 of 7

I would make the shirt in the base color and then hand paint the plaid design after it has "set"

revel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
revel Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 8:10pm
post #6 of 7

Thanks! So would i mix my color with vodka or vanilla before i paint? I've tried painting with just the color before it turns out black looking and doesn't really dry it's sticky. L'll try googling anie2

CelebrationCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CelebrationCakery Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 8:30pm
post #7 of 7

I mix my coloring with a small amount of either clear vanilla or vodka. A little goes a long long way...I use a paper plate as my paint palette...put a drop of clear vanilla (or vodka) and just like a 1/2 drop of whatever color you are going to paint with...you do not need a lot on your brush, make sure the color and liquid are blended well and then begin...use a really fine fine fine brush...and if you will be doing this alot it is worth the investment of really good brushes...the don't "shed"

To make sure I have what I want...I actually practice the painting on a rolled out piece of whatever color fondant I am going to use...make sure it sets for a few minutes before you "paint" or it may get mushy quickly as you are painting....you don't want that...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%