When Do You Put The Dowels?

Decorating By Kookie Updated 5 Oct 2009 , 3:01am by Kookie

Kookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kookie Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 3:30am
post #1 of 12

What is the correct way to put dowels to support tiers?
Do you put all dowels in the cake before stacking up the tiers or
put dowels in when you actually stack up each tiers?
Thanks.

11 replies
kickasscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kickasscakes Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 3:41am
post #2 of 12

As long as they go in, I don't think it matters when. I dowel each tier and then stack.

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 4:09am
post #3 of 12

I think it all depends on the amount of time you are going to have to do the stacking. If you aren't going to be stressed about getting it stacked it doesn't really matter. If you are going to be stressed for time, I'd go ahead and place the dowels ahead of time.

Kookie Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 2:39pm
post #4 of 12

cabacakes and snowbuns,
O.K. I will decide that morning when I want to place the dowels or not.
Thank you!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 2:45pm
post #5 of 12

I like to let the cake settle (preferably overnight if I can) before putting in the dowels. I've found that if I fill and crumb coat, then put the dowels in right away, then when I come in the next morning, the cake has settled and I have to trim another 1/8" to 1/4" more off of the dowels.

Kookie Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 4:37pm
post #6 of 12

Hi indydebi,
That is a good thing to know.
Can I crumb coat and frost same day?
Thanks.

indydebi Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 8:31pm
post #7 of 12

I have crumb'd and frosted the same day, but I like to have a few hours between them (crumb in the a.m.; ice in the p.m.) so the cake can settle. I get fewer cracks in the icing and fewer blowouts.

Kookie Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 10:01pm
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

I have crumb'd and frosted the same day, but I like to have a few hours between them (crumb in the a.m.; ice in the p.m.) so the cake can settle. I get fewer cracks in the icing and fewer blowouts.

I always appreciate your help.
Thanks.

OregonCakeLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OregonCakeLady Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 1:10am
post #9 of 12

okay I am probably being really stupid thinking this ( I have had a glass of wine) but what do you mean? Don't you put dowels in as you stack the cake? I wouldn't think that they would do their job if they were put in after the cake was stacked. I don't know. you don't have to explain what you meant to the lush but I was just wondering.

indydebi Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 1:17am
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonCakeLady

okay I am probably being really stupid thinking this ( I have had a glass of wine) but what do you mean? Don't you put dowels in as you stack the cake? I wouldn't think that they would do their job if they were put in after the cake was stacked. I don't know. you don't have to explain what you meant to the lush but I was just wondering.

icon_lol.gif I can see how it can be confusing! Here's my take on how I read it:

Do you/we ice the cake, put in the dowels, stack the cake, all within 3-4 minutes? Or .....

Do you/we ice the cake, let it sit overnight to settle, come in the next day, put the dowels in each layer, then stack. (Or sometimes I put the dowels in, transport the cakes unassembled, then stack on site).

I think she was asking how much time between putting in the dowels and stacking the cake.

OregonCakeLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OregonCakeLady Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 1:24am
post #11 of 12

ah.... now I understand...
I was confused because I have run across people who don't put any dowels in until the cake is full stacked! icon_eek.gif I don't see that working well. Thanks for clearing things up

Kookie Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 3:01am
post #12 of 12

oregoncakelady,Sorry for making confusion.
Indydebi,thank you for your nice explain.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%