Fake Decorating Job Ad On Craigslist

Decorating By Texas_Rose Updated 3 Oct 2009 , 7:33pm by Texas_Rose

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 7:09am
post #1 of 6

This ad is posted in the jobs section of Craigslist for a bunch of different areas:

Bakery -Cake Decorator

Looking for artistic individual that enjoys decorating cakes. Experience a must.
Good starting wage and friendly work environment.
Interested individuals please contact Camille:: [email protected]

So don't respond to it if you happen to see it in your area icon_biggrin.gif And no, I don't know what kind of scam they're trying, but they've got it posted in 10 cities across the US so it couldn't be a legit job.

5 replies
Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 8:07am
post #2 of 6

It's a scam to try, and get your personall info.

Mike

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 10:27am
post #3 of 6

how do you know its a scam though, i dont mean to sound rude or thick lol, im from the uk and havent heard of craigs lists, could it not be like a chain of stores opening across the us and looking for decoraters?

snowboarder Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowboarder Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 7:13pm
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caths_Cakes

how do you know its a scam though, i dont mean to sound rude or thick lol, im from the uk and havent heard of craigs lists, could it not be like a chain of stores opening across the us and looking for decoraters?

Craigslist is online classifieds and I had the same question that you do. How do you know this particular ad is a scam? Many national/international companies post the same ad in multiple cities. First example that comes to mind - media websites looking for writers to blog about a specific topic in different cities. So how do you know this one is a scam?

Texas_Rose Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 7:23pm
post #5 of 6

I don't know for sure about this particular ad...but my husband has replied to jobs in his field that were posted across many cities or states, without any info like this one, and they always turn out to be scams. A lot of the time they turn out to be employment agencies that want a fee from you, or they ask for your info including your SSN. When I have seen a real, national company looking for people, they always say who they are in the ad. Usually they will mention part of town they're in and how much they pay.

Every time I have ever seen the same ad posted in 10 or more cities at once, with no company name mentioned, it hasn't turned out to be a legit job opportunity. So I've gotten into the habit of googling a phrase from any job ads I'm interested in, to see if they show up in other areas.

Texas_Rose Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 7:33pm
post #6 of 6

The other thing is, the only national companies who do cakes in this area are Walmart and Sam's and Costco, and if they were the ones advertising then they would have a link to their employment website...they hire too many people to have one person in charge of hiring all the cake decorators for all of their stores across the country. We don't have any other national chain grocery stores here...we used to have Krogers and Albertsons but HEB drove them all out years ago.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%