Working With Wedding/event Planner...what Should I Know?

Business By CakeDiva73 Updated 3 Oct 2009 , 3:11am by Kitagrl

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 1:21am
post #1 of 9

I got an email from an event planner, sounds like she's a bit new - anyway, she wanted to know if I was working with anyone, etc.

I have heard some horror stories so I was wondering what I need to know. When working with wedding/event planners, is it customary to discount? Or do I make it clear I will work with client directly rather than thru her? I'm not sure how it works...... I also don't know if I just let her book cakes for my asking price and if the rule of thumb is she sells it to bride for higher.... cripes, I am confused.

Any advice is appreciated! icon_smile.gif

8 replies
LKing12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LKing12 Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 1:40am
post #2 of 9

Please be careful. I had a wedding planner contact me about displaying a couple of dummy cakes made for a bridal fair. Promised me the moon and I was out a lot of money, time and effort. I made her look good-she did absolutely nothing for me!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 1:44am
post #3 of 9

The reputable planners who I work with NEVER take a cut from the cake price. They send their clients to me with the understanding that I'll make an effort to accomodate them even if my schedule is on the full side, and that's the only "benefit" they get. I work directly with the bride, all payments come from the bride, and all communication is to the bride. The only time that I had a planner try to get in the middle of things was also the only time that everything took twice as long to accomplish.

If this person is a new planner I'd just meet with her and talk about your work so that she gets to know you. If she brings up any kind of kickback scheme I'd tell her that you don't do discounting, but you'd be glad to meet with any clients who she wants to send to you.

If she's a good planner she'll be eager to work with good vendors who do quality work, not just the ones who pay her a cut of their sale price.

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 2:00am
post #4 of 9

That's what I was wanting to hear, if it was standard practice that the co-ordinator to get a kick-back of some sort. I remember reading something about a baker delivering the cake and the planner stopping her in the parking lot, insisting on taking the cake from there.

I can't remember exactly how it ended but I think she left with the cake in her car.

I am all for referalls, etc but I don't want to work with a middle-man when it comes to cakes. There are too many opportunities for misunderstandings, let alone trying to add a third to the mix.

heavenlys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heavenlys Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 2:11am
post #5 of 9

I don't work with a planner on referral basis but my experience with wedding planners has been disasterous. They say a lot but don't follow thru.

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 2:15am
post #6 of 9

We are planning a party and are using a wedding planner icon_surprised.gif She has done so much for us in getting things lined up. She was very up on current trends and pricelines. We were aware that the cake was already going to cost, but some of the other fees we had no clue. She made our appointments for all meetings with the vendors, took us and kept us on schedule, made notes, got a copy of the contracts to have on hand the day of the event. She is our go to person for the baker and florist to confirm delivery. She knows exactly what has been ordered and what we expect. I paid her fee not the venue or other vendors. It has been the easiest party for me. I owe her a lot. She even took the invites and had them all hand cancelled at the post.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 2:58am
post #7 of 9

I honestly believe every bride should have a professional planner. I LUV seeing a professional planner come into the shop with a bride. Please note my overuse of the word PROFESSIONAL. God save me from the "Friend" planner. See my blog on this topic.

Good, professional planners do not expect a cut or a kickback, which I will not pay and will not work with a planner who would expect one (haven't run into one of those yet, though). A good planner will expect you to keep her AND the bride informed. A good planner is copied on all the correspondence ... she is not the sole contact, but more of the keeper of the info; the organizer of the info.

I. Luv. Prof Planners! thumbs_up.gif

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 3:04am
post #8 of 9

Jlynnw it sounds like you have a wonderful planner! So jealous. My wedding planner sucked...but that's another hostile story.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 3:11am
post #9 of 9

As far as I'm concerned the planners job is to "plan" and send the client to reputable vendors. I don't see them as contractors...just planners.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%