Please Help Quick... Foam Board Question

Decorating By mindy1204 Updated 3 Oct 2009 , 12:41am by sadsmile

mindy1204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mindy1204 Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 10:50pm
post #1 of 5

I bought foam board for the first time ever and plan on using it on a cake for tonight... Questions is I bought 3/16 is that strong enough or do I double it and also.. do you cover it and then put the cake on top or use a cake board and them put the cake on. I am afraid if I the cake will slid if I use a board and then the foam board.

4 replies
madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 11:07pm
post #2 of 5

I would double it and cover it with wrapping paper.......I put cake on the paper if its safe, if not then cake board, and I put icing under it to keep it still.....I am not sure if you can put cake directly on the foam board or not.

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 11:18pm
post #3 of 5

I double the board (or buy the thicker one, 1/2 inch) only if it is a multi tier cake, if it is a simple layer cake, I don't. I cover the board with food safe paper and then put cake right on it, no other cake board necessary. HTH

mindy1204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mindy1204 Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 11:29pm
post #4 of 5

Thanks.. I do not use food safe paper but I do cover it with contact paper. I hope that is ok.

We did double it because it just didnt seem strong enough with one. Thanks for the help

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 12:41am
post #5 of 5

Using foam core is great! One thing to be careful about as with any board that has any flexibility or bend in it-is to fully support the weight of the cake evenly when carrying. If you don't evenly support the weight the foam cor will bend and may cause the cake to bend and leave ripples, tearing, cracking or a bunching up of your icing or fondant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%