Please Help Me Fast!

Decorating By alracntna Updated 3 Oct 2009 , 3:48pm by TOMAY

alracntna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alracntna Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 2:00pm
post #1 of 10

i am trying to cover a dummy circle with gumpaste. not a round, a circle. i keep messing up and i am getting frustrated! someone please help me! TIA

9 replies
2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 2:19pm
post #2 of 10

I'll give you a bump - I haven't done it with gumpaste, only fondant.

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 2:24pm
post #3 of 10

Hmm... gumpaste? How big is your circle (I am assuming you refer to a sphere since you said it is not a round?) I have two suggestions:

Why not make it 50/50 gumpaste to fondant which will give you a little more pliability?

If not, then you will need to knead in more shortening to make it a much more pliable gumpaste.

It sounds to me that, since you have measured, it's not the amount you need but the pliability in your medium. Gumpaste is not very stretchy. Or, maybe it is the amount you need on top of adding pliability add some additional circumference to your measurement so that you have enough to smooth down to the base.

sugarMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarMomma Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 2:29pm
post #4 of 10

I agree with Win.
But why gumpaste? fondant should fine, and it will eventually dry hard over the dummy.
At least use a 50/50 mix..

alracntna Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 2:48pm
post #5 of 10

thanks. i use gumpaste cause i don't like fondant. i don't have any so i guess i need to go buy some. if i use fondant will it be easier to use? the problem i keep having is breaking and tearing before i can smooth it all the way around the sphere. it is just a small 6" sphere. would it be better to do the 50/50 or just fondant?

alracntna Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 2:55pm
post #6 of 10

how about crumb icing or maybe a little more than a crumb coat first? would that make it easier?

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 5:27pm
post #7 of 10

Carla, I'd use at least the 50/50 if you are having trouble with tearing, but truthfully, straight fondant would work best for your project. Also, you can simply smear the surface of your dummy with shortening and that will give you a little more ability to smooth. I never use anything on a dummy other than shortening or piping gel thinned with water.

HTH!

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 6:13pm
post #8 of 10

Try working in some more shortning into your gumpaste maybe even a drop or two of water. That should help. And covering a sphere is no easy task!

Makeitmemorable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Makeitmemorable Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 3:35pm
post #9 of 10

Definately use fondant, the gumpaste drys out too quickly. I agree with sadsmile that you could add a little water or shortening but that will not make it as flexible as fondant and still will not give you enough time to make sure you have covered, smoothed etc before it drys.

Good luck

TOMAY Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TOMAY Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 3:48pm
post #10 of 10

How thin are you rolling , you may want to make it a little thicker and I agree in adding some shortening or crisco to make it more strechy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%