Bought Wilton Silicone Mini Brownie Bite Pan..ugh

Decorating By sweetcravings Updated 29 Mar 2013 , 6:12pm by TerriS16

sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 10:07pm
post #1 of 19

Well, today while out shopping i came across all the brownie items they have from wilton. Most i thought were not necessary, but when i saw the silicone mini bite pan i thought it might be useful for holiday baking. So i baked up a batch of my brownies in the pan and lets just say i'm not impressed. thumbsdown.gificon_mad.gif

Each one of those babies stuck in the silicone mold. Even when i sprayed them with pam first. I waited for them to cool in the pan and tried again. Some came out willingly but most had to be pushed out. I had to trim the edges of excess brownie to give me the nice square shape.

I have to say that it's not all that it's made out to be. Maybe it might be a good tool for fudge or something, but brownies proved tricky.

I also saw the wilton silicone brownie pop mold, thought that might make making cake balls easier but wanted to wait to see if this other mold worked. Soooo glad i didn't buy that too.

Anyone else tried this pan? Any tricks to making it work better?

I hate getting suckered into buying something that fails so miserably. icon_evil.gif

18 replies
Sh1McDonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sh1McDonald Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 10:14pm
post #2 of 19

I haven't tried that pan but I do have the silicone brownie pop mold and I love it. I spray it with baking spray and the brownies popped out with no problems! I'm sorry the mini brownie bites pan didn't work so well for you.

adree313 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adree313 Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 10:15pm
post #3 of 19

i agree, it's awful for brownies. the only thing that i found that worked was actually freezing the brownies in the mold (after they've cooled) and then popping them out. it worked like a charm.

i usually only use this mold for sugar tiles. it's great for that! icon_smile.gif

sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 10:28pm
post #4 of 19

adree...ya thought about freezing them too, but when you still have batter left in the bowl you have to bake it up, not wait to freeze the first batch to free up the pan. My brownies had choco. chips in them too, so maybe that caused extra sticking.
Good to know that they are good for sugar work. I may just try that..gotta use it for something right.

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 10:38pm
post #5 of 19

I bought it too but for sugar work. It makes great tiles as Adree313 said

mwest110 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mwest110 Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 10:41pm
post #6 of 19

Oh no, I just gave my mil the brownie pan as a present. oops!

adree313 Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 10:49pm
post #7 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcravings

adree...ya thought about freezing them too, but when you still have batter left in the bowl you have to bake it up, not wait to freeze the first batch to free up the pan.

that's true. i've only used them for brownies once. i had to bake two seperate batches. the first batch i couldn't get out in one piece to save my life. the second batch is when i freezed them and popped them out.

sugar tool ever since!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 10:53pm
post #8 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by adree313

i usually only use this mold for sugar tiles. it's great for that! icon_smile.gif

icon_lol.gif At least you found a use for it! icon_lol.gif

adree313 Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 10:57pm
post #9 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:
Originally Posted by adree313

icon_lol.gif At least you found a use for it! icon_lol.gif

hey, ya gotta be economical.

if it doesn't work for something, it could work for something else. though... that's tough for a lot of wilton tools. oh wait... desk organizer! something about those little compartments SCREAMS "put paper clips/thumbtacks/small stickies/loose change in me!!"

KLUlover12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KLUlover12 Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 5:44pm
post #10 of 19

i want to make the sugar tiles, but i have not been able to find it anywhere. does anyone have a website??

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 9:02pm
post #11 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLUlover12

i want to make the sugar tiles, but i have not been able to find it anywhere. does anyone have a website??

Here's a whole thread about making them. HTH!!

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=631926&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

ShanB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShanB Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 11:06pm
post #12 of 19

I have the brownie pop pan... hate it... can never get the darn things to come out of it either. It might be that my recipe is to moist and fudgy maybe but I quit using the thing.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 12:45am
post #13 of 19

I tried it once for its intended use. I now use it for chocolate squares and to re-mold leftover chocolate for later use.

CeeTee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CeeTee Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 2:19am
post #14 of 19

That's sad to hear. icon_sad.gif I have both the brownie bite and the brownie pop molds and love them. I spray them with Bakers Joy and then only let them cool for a couple of minutes before popping them out. I flip the bites out on a cooling rack the same way I do cakes and they turn out fine every time. I usually make fudge-style brownies. I also use them with RKTs too.

The only times I have problems with silicone molds is when I forget to spray them or don't use enough.

SunshineSally Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SunshineSally Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 3:10am
post #15 of 19

NOT a fan of the silicone pans. I have the brownie pop one and can't stand it!

samcfi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
samcfi Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 3:17am
post #16 of 19

I wanted to use the brownie pop mold to make school class treats like in their idea book. No such luck. I couldn't get them to come out either. I tried spraying first, then I tried not spraying. I tried letting them cool first, then I tried just flipping them out. Nothing worked!!!

cvigil Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cvigil Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 3:51am
post #17 of 19

I read on the Wilton website that a lot of people were having trouble with these molds. I was wanting to try them but I think I will pass.

Kima920 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kima920 Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 4:12am
post #18 of 19

I bought this the mini brownie mold as well and it is horrible. It is just sitting in one of my drawers. Such a bad product, the brownies stick regardless.

TerriS16 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TerriS16 Posted 29 Mar 2013 , 6:12pm
post #19 of 19

What I'm finding really annoying is that this thread started in 2007 and here we are in 2013 with the same problem!  I bought one of these rip-off moulds recently and thought it was my fault the brownies didn't turn out (well we had a pile of brownie crumbs which go nicely with ice-cream, incidentally!) However, that's not why I bought the stupid thing.  So I made more - another disaster! Inspired with irritation I come on this website to find it's a known problem!  WILTON - PLEASE READ AND INWARDLY DIGEST! YOUR PRODUCT IS RUBBISH AND HAS COST ME A FORTUNE IN WASTED FOOD

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%