Cupcake Cake Idea, Please Help!

Decorating By pumpkinroses Updated 1 Oct 2009 , 7:47pm by CakeDesigns

pumpkinroses Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pumpkinroses Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 10:19am
post #1 of 6

I have a request for a white cupcake cake with a big gold K on it and several nice bugs (butterflies, dragonflies, lady bugs, and caterpillars).

I would love some of your ideas for the K that would still make these cupcakes easy to separate at school.

My idea so far is to shape the K out of gold fondant or RI balls.

TIA for your help
Nikki

5 replies
flamingobaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flamingobaker Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 12:18pm
post #2 of 6

I think the gold fondant K is your best bet. Just have the person serving cut with a knife as they are being served...it shouldn't be too much trouble.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 12:30pm
post #3 of 6

If you're doing a cupcake cake then the whole top will be iced smooth like a cake right?? Why not do the "K" out of buttercream, but do it like a fbct and while it's still frozen peel it off the wax paper and flip it over (not on the cake yet) and brush the front of it with lots of gold luster dust to get a nice gold color to it (you might make the icing for the K out of yellow or gold icing too) and then pop it back in the freezer to make sure it's nice and hard and then use a spatula to slide it onto the cake.

That's what I did for the french horn on this cake......I wanted it nice and gold but didn't want the dust to get on the rest of the cake

Then because it's buttercream, it'll just naturally separate as they pull the cupcakes apart.
LL

flamingobaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flamingobaker Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 1:21pm
post #4 of 6

Wow! I din't know you could do the luster dust on buttercream - Thanks!

pumpkinroses Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pumpkinroses Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 3:59pm
post #5 of 6

Thanks for all your help. KHalstead- I never thought of peeling the FBCT putting the gold on and then putting it back in the freezer. That will work perfect.

CakeDesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDesigns Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 7:47pm
post #6 of 6

How smart is that? Love the idea of the FBCT.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%