Horrified At The Wedding Artical

Decorating By CupCake_Caitlin Updated 26 Aug 2010 , 4:32am by all4cake

CupCake_Caitlin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CupCake_Caitlin Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 6:41am
post #1 of 91

Its comments like this in Wedding Saving Tips that I have found on some sites that just makes everyone (non bakers) think that Professional cake decorators rip them off...

Quote:
Quote:

"The cost of wedding cakes these days is simply put, ridiculous, and can easily put any wedding over budget. Professionally made cakes can range anywhere from $4-$17 per slice. Invite just 100 people and you are looking at an average price tag of $1,050 - not including delivery and set up charges! - for a bunch of flour, eggs and sugar. You probably paid less for your wedding dress!"

Thats Horrible... I read the whole article... But it just went on to insult more. There were more on try shopping around, haggling the price and that independant bakers (Homebased worker) are more likly to fold if you insist you can get the same cake somewhere else cheaper, they usually need your business so they will more likly cut the cost. Also choosing to get a plain cheap cake and add Something simple like pin some ribbon around each layer, then plainly stating that in the end your better off making your own.
icon_surprised.gif
A dress maker sells her dress for the material and HOURS put in to it. and its the Same for a extravigant Cake!! The only thing ridiculous is sites like this one that makes brides have unrealistic thoughts on what prices would be for a "Bag of flour, eggs and sugar!!!???

*oops found spelling errors, edit!

90 replies
G_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
G_Cakes Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 7:10am
post #2 of 91

Wow would love to have the link to this site just to comment on it...

Your right though it is ridiculous when they write comments like this.

It undermines business and brides think hey I can get it cheaper.

But when they start showing you pictures or wedding cakes they snipped out of a magazine and say I want this one and you break it down for them and they balk at the price...I just tell them well by all means contact the person who made the cake for the spread and ask how much it would cost you...Then your pricing dont seem so bad.

When we need work done on our cars and the mechanic says it will be X amount most people will pony up and say great how long or when can I pick it up.

Building a house or doing renovations same thing...I don't understand why people write blogs like this..chances are they are not even married or haven't had to plan a wedding in a very long time.

My father was a chef and ran his own catering business. His primary customer were couples getting married.

The first thing my father always brought up was BUDGET vs. Expectation or as I like to put it Dream vs. Reality.

Everyone has a picture in there mind about their dream wedding, Reality is what you can afford!

I think people need to realize that you can not plan a champagne wedding on a beer budget.

bakery_chick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakery_chick Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 7:40am
post #3 of 91

just Googled the quote and the website is...
http://www.big-wedding-tiny-budget.com/cheap-wedding-cakes.html

bakery_chick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakery_chick Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 7:49am
post #4 of 91

another quote from the article,
"If youre channeling Betty Crocker, you can make your own cheap wedding cake with this wedding cake decorating ideas guide and recipe page. Making your own wedding cake is a fantastic, FUN way to save a ton of money and to bond with some girlfriends!"

I was a DIY bride, and I did make my own wedding cake, and it was my first wedding cake. It was super simple and I made it two days before. My venue actually allowed up to deliver the cake the day before the wedding, and they held it for us overnight. Baking in general relaxes me. Having time just for myself before the wedding was really nice, but I planned really, really well for it. I also had a back-up plan with the venue so the stress level was fairly low. I can not imagine doing this with other! YIKES!!!

CupCake_Caitlin Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 8:24am
post #5 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakery_chick

just Googled the quote and the website is...
http://www.big-wedding-tiny-budget.com/cheap-wedding-cakes.html

Yeah there were a few other sites I was at as well... I googled Wedding Budget

CupCake_Caitlin Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 8:28am
post #6 of 91

Quote:

"If youre channeling Betty Crocker, you can make your own cheap wedding cake with this wedding cake decorating ideas guide and recipe page. Making your own wedding cake is a fantastic, FUN way to save a ton of money and to bond with some girlfriends!"

I was a DIY bride, and I did make my own wedding cake, and it was my first wedding cake. It was super simple and I made it two days before. My venue actually allowed up to deliver the cake the day before the wedding, and they held it for us overnight. Baking in general relaxes me. Having time just for myself before the wedding was really nice, but I planned really, really well for it. I also had a back-up plan with the venue so the stress level was fairly low. I can not imagine doing this with other! YIKES!!!

Good on you for making your own Cake though lol, I was just pointing out the quote about basically saying all on here are just riduculous... its a living ofr some people here...

But I did find some sites that made sure that they brought people back to reality about the pricing on cakes... and assured them it was normal and to budget for it...

You get what you pay for!!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 10:34am
post #7 of 91

People are stupid.

cakemaker30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemaker30 Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 11:02am
post #8 of 91

I love the part about home bakers will cave on their price because they need your business. Ummm....no. I'm a legal home baker and my rent gets paid regardless if I make cakes or not so I certainly don't need the cheap bride business. I don't have any overhead so you can take your cheap butt to Wal-Mart. icon_lol.gif

DefyGravity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DefyGravity Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 12:32pm
post #9 of 91
Quote:

How much do you wanna bet that the brides that were too smart to fall into the the trap of the big, bad caking industry are also too smart to worry about petty, frivolous things like supports? After all, they aren't covered in the list of "only flour, eggs, and sugar". icon_rolleyes.gif

icon_wink.gif

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 12:47pm
post #10 of 91

I tried to comment on the article, but the form didn't work.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 12:53pm
post #11 of 91

If do it yourself is so "in" right now, then why don't these brides just sew their own gowns? After all, it's just material and thread! icon_confused.gif

And who needs fresh flowers?? Silk is MUCH cheaper and lasts FOREVER! icon_confused.gif

Honestly, we decorators have to revolt against such stupid advice! icon_lol.gif

izzy1953 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
izzy1953 Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 12:54pm
post #12 of 91

some people are like slinkies.............................not really good for anything, but it still brings a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs!!!!!

cib Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cib Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 12:55pm
post #13 of 91

"Lie to your baker. He doesn't need to know it's a cake for a wedding! When the word "wedding" is mentioned, the price automatically goes up - and this goes for any vendor or professional you are dealing with. Tell your baker it's an anniversary cake, celebration cake, Arbor Day cake, TGIF cake, etc. etc. etc. It doesn't matter. Just don't mention wedding, if at all humanly possible."

Crap like this really makes my blood boil!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 12:57pm
post #14 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakemaker30

I love the part about home bakers will cave on their price because they need your business. Ummm....no. I'm a legal home baker and my rent gets paid regardless if I make cakes or not so I certainly don't need the cheap bride business. I don't have any overhead so you can take your cheap butt to Wal-Mart. icon_lol.gif

I totally agree with you, I charge more than the other bakeries in my area (I'm a legal at home baker) and I'm not ashamed to tell brides "good luck with them" when they tell me......"well such and such bakery said they will do the same cake for $200.00 less than you're quoting" .......I think they expect me to be like Sears and honor competitor's prices or something......I tell them, great.....good luck with your weddding......and they always come back with something like........well, yeah......but I like the taste of your cake better"......well, then you're going to have to decide what's more important. I NEVER cave on price anymore.....I'm always willing to figure out kitchen cakes and smaller tiered cakes to save them money but my prices are my prices that's IT!!!!!

I did learn SOMETHING from CC LOL

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 12:59pm
post #15 of 91

Like you wouldn't know it was a wedding cake when you delivered it, or from the design. How many people really charge more for a wedding cake than for a fancy tiered cake for another event?

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 1:06pm
post #16 of 91

I wonder how many comments people put in there actually get posted to the site. I posted one, vented a little haha! but my post didnt show so i guess it wont be ever going to show. Never mind. Its disgraceful anyway, it really annoys me things like that. I love bobwonderbuns post, Excactly bob, we should all start making our dresses and flowers and hey, why not start our own church and have cut price services! Sheeesh!

I just wish whom ever wrote that article actually did some decent research before posting it.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 1:17pm
post #17 of 91

http://www.big-wedding-tiny-budget.com/simple-wedding-cakes.html
This above sub-link in the article tells the story of a bride who placed some hydrangeas on her cake. I submitted a response that a professional baker knows hydrangeas are a toxic flower and should NEVER be placed on a cake. This bride was very lucky nothing happened that would cause her to get sued. I stated "a cake is 'just flour and sugar' like a dress is 'just fabric and thread'."

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 1:17pm
post #18 of 91

That was the most assinine thing I read! I am very offended. I feel for the bride that follows that stupid advice. I don't care what any other vendor says, the bottom line people look at your dress and the centerpiece to the reception will ALWAYS be the cake. And as fas as home based bakers caving, NEVER GONNA HAPPEN! It never even dawned on me to haggle about my wedding cake & the baker was home based. She was also the ONLY person in my entire town who could answer my questions in regards to the flavors & butter creams I wanted. Not even the bakeries knew what I was talking about!

millermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
millermom Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 1:18pm
post #19 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

If do it yourself is so "in" right now, then why don't these brides just sew their own gowns? After all, it's just material and thread! icon_confused.gif

And who needs fresh flowers?? Silk is MUCH cheaper and lasts FOREVER! icon_confused.gif

Honestly, we decorators have to revolt against such stupid advice! icon_lol.gif

Had to chuckle at this, since my mom made my wedding cake AND my dress! icon_lol.gif But that's just because she is incredibly talented! Had she made my wedding cake for anyone else, she would have charged full price!

We did have fresh flowers, though. icon_lol.gif

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 1:38pm
post #20 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by izzy1953

some people are like slinkies.............................not really good for anything, but it still brings a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs!!!!!

SOOOOOO funny!!!! I may have to steal this line some time! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 1:38pm
post #21 of 91

Does anyone feel like this is a bride left at the altar and is now out ruining other brides by giving horrible advice. Did you see the cupcake tower with the huge cupcake atop it? How much is that stand? Where do you get it? Yes, you can make one, but the instructions and expense? We all have CC to give us pointers, but DIY brides that listen to that crap don't. I am not saying you should not make your own cake. If you have the proper equipment, knowledge and desire, great. The average bride is clueless and this article enables the bride to be uneducated about the realities of cakes in general. I do think some cakes are excessively overpriced. It is not just a cake in some places, it is the name behind it. If I don't want to pay for the "insert celeb name here" cake, I will have to settle for the custom shop. Custom shop too expensive, I guess I will have to get chainstore sawdust frozen for how long cake hopefully made by a decorator with some skill. I would never want to make my cake or ask anyone to make their own. The days before the wedding are stressful enough, a great time to catch up with family. Why would you even consider that advice?

cocorum21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocorum21 Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 1:38pm
post #22 of 91
Quote:

I'm going to get this printed on a t-shirt icon_biggrin.gif

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 1:40pm
post #23 of 91

I designed my own wedding cake and bought all the ingredients but my best friend's mom (who was my cake making inspiration) made the cake for my wedding gift. I did the grooms cake...the grooms cake was gone in 5 min. The wedding cake was hardly touched because the cake itself was inedible. The icing was supery crusty and so sugary it was inedible, and the cake itself (a scratch cake) was so dry you needed a glass of milk just to choke it down. The wedding cake served 200 people so, I had almost an whole wedding cake left over after the reception. My mom tried to give it away to as many people as possible but the majority of it (about 150 servings worth) ended up in my fridge, and then subsequently the garbage...LOL! It was beautiful though! And yes YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!...I didn't pay for the labor just the ingredients...well I got the ingredients alright...HA!

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 1:40pm
post #24 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

How many people really charge more for a wedding cake than for a fancy tiered cake for another event?

Exactly. Cake is $XX per slice regardless of whether it's for a birthday, wedding or to celebrate Johnny making his first poo in the potty. Matters not.

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 1:42pm
post #25 of 91

I wanna t-shirt, too!

Yes, I left a comment but sure it won't get posted either. Told them if they wanted just "flour, sugar and eggs" they can go to Wal-Mart!

And I charge the same price for ANY tiered cake

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 1:43pm
post #26 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmansmom2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

How many people really charge more for a wedding cake than for a fancy tiered cake for another event?

Exactly. Cake is $XX per slice regardless of whether it's for a birthday, wedding or to celebrate Johnny making his first poo in the potty. Matters not.

I definitely charge more for a wedding cake than I do for any other kind of cake. They're bigger, more work, more torting, filling, take longer to do and often involve the assistance of other people to help me cover, deliver and stack them. I don't have any of that issue with "regular" celebration cakes.

majka_ze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
majka_ze Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 1:46pm
post #27 of 91

When I hear such discussions, I am happy that our pricing habits for cakes are different. You want a tiered cake - you get it for the same if it is wedding cake, birthday cake, go to he!! cake or whatever.

Nobody orders "a cake for 100" - they will order a 13" - 10" - 7" cake and get the price per tier size and often +price of fondant decorations. Some will ask your advice, but in the end they decide the size of cake tiers.

One advantage is that you could get a wish for 13" cake for 6 - but nobody expect to pay the 6 standard servings - the pay for 13" cake. The same is that they understand, that complicated design cost extra.

In the end, the price is the same as you get. But the discussion is simpler - not enough money for your cake? Go smaller or simpler! Some people will have DIY cake - but these at least know how to make a simple cake and how much work is it.

I hope this still holds true for some time. In the time of internet it is simply a question of time when the fist Czech magazine prints this article. After this, I give it a month maximum for it to appear in all the similar periodicals.

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 2:11pm
post #28 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by cib

"Lie to your baker. He doesn't need to know it's a cake for a wedding! When the word "wedding" is mentioned, the price automatically goes up - and this goes for any vendor or professional you are dealing with. Tell your baker it's an anniversary cake, celebration cake, Arbor Day cake, TGIF cake, etc. etc. etc. It doesn't matter. Just don't mention wedding, if at all humanly possible."

Crap like this really makes my blood boil!

That is because in a lot of cases it's true. A lot of bakers don't simply price cake by the slice and scale pricing up for more costly work. That is why there should be a standard in cake price across the board as in most cases it is the same work. But with any cake that is fondant with frills and gum paste flowers it should be more no matter what occasion it is for. Though with weddings the bases are more costly...ect. So weddings are going to cost even more if that is the look you want. You get what you pay for.

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 2:18pm
post #29 of 91
Quote:

icon_lol.gificon_cry.gificon_lol.gificon_cry.gificon_lol.gificon_cry.gificon_lol.gificon_cry.gificon_lol.gificon_cry.gificon_lol.gif ROFLMAO

My new mantra!

iluvjay829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iluvjay829 Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 2:25pm
post #30 of 91

I left a reply as well. I'm sure we'll never see any of our comments. Told her I appreciated that she was trying to help brides in this tough economy, but until she makes a wedding cake herself, she should avoid insulting those of us who do! icon_mad.gificon_mad.gif Stupid people make me so mad!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%