Help On How To Attach Toppers, Please?

Decorating By -Tubbs Updated 1 Oct 2009 , 3:02am by -Tubbs

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 11:02pm
post #1 of 5

I have a cupcake wedding on Saturday. 100 cupcakes and a 6" cutting cake. The bride has given me the toppers, which are a ceramic bride and groom. How do I go about attaching them to the cake? They are flat on the bottom. Royal icing? I want them to be really solid. And I guess that I'd attach them when I set up at the reception site?

Also, they are quite light - do you guys usually use any supports for this kind of thing?

Thanks, Natalie.

4 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 12:02am
post #2 of 5

I just sit it on top of the cake. If it's light enough, it will sit fine. If it's heavy, then I might put some dowels in there to support it.

-Tubbs Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 2:38am
post #3 of 5

Well, since the cake they're going on is only 6", I wouldn't be confident to just stand them there, since they'll be quite close to the edge of the cake, on the top tier of a cupcake stand = a bit wobbly if great-aunt Maud walks too close to the table!! I think I'll put a dab of RI, just to be sure.

Thanks!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 2:48am
post #4 of 5

Sounds like a good sized topper then. All of my top tiers are 6" and they hold the toppers ok. But yeah, if you feel the stand isn't real sturdy to start with, then some extra assurance is a good thing!

-Tubbs Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 3:02am
post #5 of 5

Really? Well, maybe I'll try them on the cake tomorrow and see how stable it seems, then. I'd rather the caterer didn't have to have to wreck the cake to remove the topper!
Thanks for your input. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%