My Fridge Is Killing Me!

Business By jenmat Updated 2 Oct 2009 , 1:34am by littlecake

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 7:11pm
post #1 of 9

I bought a used double wide commercial fridge last year when I opened- it was the only thing I bought used and the only way I could afford a 2 door. The space is wonderful, but the moisture--- accckkkk! Weeping buttercream, bleeding black icing... I can't afford the time to redo cakes constantly, but there are times when I need to do cakes ahead of time and they need to sit in there overnight. I'll be purchasing another next summer, but right now I need to limp through, and its driving me nuts!
Any advice for keeping this thing dry(ier)?
TIA

8 replies
cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 9:16pm
post #2 of 9

Possibly putting a Damp Rid bucket or bag in the bottom of your fridge might help. They absorb moisture in the air.

veronica720 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veronica720 Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 10:03pm
post #3 of 9

Don't you hate when appliances go nuts and try to kill everyone.

Ever seen 'Maximum Overdrive', book by Stephen King.

Sorry that was all I thought when I read the title, I don't know what to tell you about the moisture. Hopefully the bucket thing will work.

Good Luck

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 2:16am
post #4 of 9

ha ha thanks! I'll look into the damp rid. there's no mold or anything in the fridge, it is just too moist for my iced cakes!
I'm not too much into Steven King, but I do now have a vision of the fridge chasing after me trying to swallow me with those two swinging doors!

4them Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4them Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 10:56pm
post #5 of 9

I am not sure, but do you think the damp rid might absorb any the moisture from your cakes, could you maybe replace the door seal?

Is damp rid hazardous? maybe your freezer is to close to the oven

just a couple of thoughts

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 11:20pm
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4them

I am not sure, but do you think the damp rid might absorb any the moisture from your cakes, could you maybe replace the door seal?

Is damp rid hazardous? maybe your freezer is to close to the oven

just a couple of thoughts

That's a good thought...when the home fridge starts dripping or being too moist, the culprit is usually the door gasket.

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 11:30pm
post #7 of 9

Okay, I live in a very arid climate. We have to run humidifiers here to get the air moist enough! What is a Damp Rid bucket?

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 11:56pm
post #8 of 9

http://www.damprid.com/

I don't see anything saying it can be used in the fridge, though.

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 1:34am
post #9 of 9

why put them in the fridge overnite?

i leave cakes out on the bakery rack overnite every week.....a whole bunch of them.

i used to think i needed the fridge...till my cooler broke and the peeps here told me they'd be ok out overnight....and they have been.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%