Kosher Business

Business By saberger Updated 16 Feb 2010 , 6:33pm by kathik

saberger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saberger Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 2:09pm
post #1 of 8

Has anybody had any experience with making Kosher Wedding Cakes? Biz advise or problems? Baking issues? Or even requirements to be Kosher? I have some info, but looking for people with the experience.

TIA

7 replies
Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 3:47pm
post #2 of 8

Shana Tova!!

There was a gal on here who had a kosher bakery (home-based). I can't remember her name, something like Kathy....

saberger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saberger Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 6:33pm
post #3 of 8

Shana Tova! Thanks, I really could use some help on this.

katerpillrgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katerpillrgrl Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 5:30pm
post #4 of 8

I too am looking for help in this area. Anyone out there who can offer some advice before I approach a rabbi?

jmr531 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmr531 Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 5:52pm
post #5 of 8

I dont know if this will help, but here is the organization that Chef Ron Ben-Israel references on his site and I know he provides Kosher cakes:

http://www.okkosher.com/

It looks like there is some information there that will help you get started.

julzs71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julzs71 Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 6:02pm
post #6 of 8

kathik is the one who had a parve business. I thought she has since closed shop, but I'm not sure. I'm sure you could PM her and ask her.

itsacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itsacake Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 6:21pm
post #7 of 8

I have been renting space in a kosher kitchen and have been under Rabbinic supervision for over a year and am now building my own commercial kosher kitchen and working with the local kosher certifying agency. I've also kept a kosher home for the past 30 years.

If you have specific questions, I'd be happy to try to help.

The OK that supervises Ron Ben Israel is a national agency. They will probably be expensive if you want certification, though their website may have useful information. You will most likely want someone local if you want to be certified as it is much less expensive.

Kathik has closed shop, but is still around here somewhere. I'm sure she would be happy to help. She had a home-based business under supervision.

kathik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathik Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 6:33pm
post #8 of 8

I'm here! Hi saberger. Yes, I have closed shop so we could move here to Jersey. Please pm me and we can talk. Here are some things that will help me answer some of your questions:

Do you have an established business now?

Do you have experience with non-dairy recipes? This is VERY, VERY important if you want to go into the kosher Wedding Cake business because most wedding dinners will be meat and they will be unable to serve a dairy cake after it.

There's a lot to talk about, but I'd be happy to help you. Please pm me.

Thanks,
Kathi

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%