Newbie Needs Help

Decorating By motherof2boys Updated 1 Oct 2009 , 3:55pm by nonnyscakes

motherof2boys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
motherof2boys Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 11:22am
post #1 of 7

I have a cake order where the lady wants a silver bow and dont know how to do silver. Should I just do white gumpaste then paint it with silver luster dust or glaze or should I color it a light gray then just add the silver shimmer on top of that?? Also, here is a picture of the cake she would like done..Thanks to the help of a cc member, I know the bottom part is buttercream and the lid is fondant but how do you get it to look like this..it is going to be a 12in cake. How do I get the buttercream and fondant lid to line up like this???I know the customer is wanting the bow to be really big but how many loops and what size should I make the bow for it to look really big on a 12in square.
Thanks for the help!!!
LL

6 replies
nonnyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nonnyscakes Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 6:40pm
post #2 of 7

That really looks like a fondant covered base and a fondant "lid" but it doesn't look like to separate pieces.

Here is what I think I see. . . A box (approximately 8" square) covered in white fondant and marked with a wheel in a diamond shape pattern. It has buttercream or fondant dots at each intersection dusted with luster dust. The "lid" is a piece of green fondant laid on the top and a border of green fondant around the top edge. The bow looks like white fondant/gumpaste mixture painted with vodka or vanilla flavoring to create the shine and then dusted with luster dust. The loops look like they are about 3/4 to 1" wide, strips are about 6" long, (again painted and dusted) and the edges are marked with a wheel. It looks like there are 22-24 loops on that bow.

That's my best guess, but there are lots of folks on here that have more experience than I. At least this will bump your thread and maybe get you some more attention.

Best of Luck!!

terrijproductions Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrijproductions Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 8:00pm
post #3 of 7

I agree with lees_luv assessments. Especially that this entire cake looks like it's covered in fondant, not buttercreme.

Good luck!

superwawa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superwawa Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 9:53pm
post #4 of 7

The original cc-er "GRAMMASUE" indicates that this green and white example is Buttercream: http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=292553

I recently attempted my first gift box and also did BC on the bottom with a fondant lid (it's in my photos).

I think there are 2 schools of thought on the fondant lid:

1. Make a square to just come cover the top, and four strips to adhere to the sides/edges to make the rest of the lid. This would show seams when you view it from the top, but would allow for sharp corners I would think.

2. This is what I did and may be hard to explain - made a square that was 2 inches larger than the top of my cake, cut out a 1 inch square out of each corner. Then I took my cake pan (clean), greased it with some shortening, flipped it over, centered the fondant on the bottom of it. Then the cut outs meet up to become the corner - adhere with some water. You can clearly see my seams, but in this case I hope that will help you visualize what I meant.

I think for my next one I will try to do it all fondant - Good Luck!

nonnyscakes Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 11:55pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by superwawa

The original cc-er "GRAMMASUE" indicates that this green and white example is Buttercream: http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=292553

My apologies superwawa and GRAMMASUE. I didn't see a reference to GRAMMASUE and did not take the time to find the picture in the galleries. I did put in my post that I was going to describe how I "thought" the cake was decorated. She did an excellent job on the buttercreme therefore it was difficult to tell that it was not fondant.

When I "built" the lid for my box, I created a cardboard lid that fit my cake and then covered it in fondant. The reasoning behind that move was because the giver of the cake wanted to hide his girlfriend's gift underneath.

Good Luck with your cake OP!!

superwawa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superwawa Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 1:51pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by lees_luv

Quote:
Originally Posted by superwawa

My apologies superwawa and GRAMMASUE. I didn't see a reference to GRAMMASUE and did not take the time to find the picture in the galleries. I did put in my post that I was going to describe how I "thought" the cake was decorated. She did an excellent job on the buttercreme therefore it was difficult to tell that it was not fondant.

When I "built" the lid for my box, I created a cardboard lid that fit my cake and then covered it in fondant. The reasoning behind that move was because the giver of the cake wanted to hide his girlfriend's gift underneath.

Good Luck with your cake OP!!

No worries - it was a fluke I happened to recognize that cake from when I was doing "CC research" to see if there was such a thing as a BC box with a fondant lid! Your cake sounds neat - you mean there was a gift in the cake? I'm guessing it was small icon_wink.gif

nonnyscakes Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 3:55pm
post #7 of 7

Her gift was tickets to a concert. We sealed them in plastic and placed them under the lid. There is a picture of the cake and alternate photoswith the lid off (picture quality is poor, but you get the idea) in my gallery at http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1405586

To the OP: Sorry for hijacking your thread.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%