Help!!! What Did I Do Wrong?????

Decorating By alicia_froedge Updated 29 Sep 2009 , 1:45pm by lapazlady

alicia_froedge Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alicia_froedge Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 3:20am
post #1 of 10

I was making a practice cake for a baking contest and it COMPLETELY flopped!!!!! What did I do wrong... it didn't rise. It had to have been the nastiest thing I have ever tasted!!! I put 2 1/2 sticks of butter in. I tried measuring out in grams...I thought I was right!? And I did the mixture of all purpose with baking powder. Any ideas?? The contest is Thursday!

Butterscotch Mascarpone Cream Layer Cake:

http://www.mytartelette.com/2007/10/waiter-there-is-something-in.html

9 replies
alicia_froedge Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alicia_froedge Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 11:15am
post #2 of 10

Anyone????!!!!

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 11:48am
post #3 of 10

im sorry i cant advise, i dont do scratch baking. Bump x

lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 11:58am
post #4 of 10

I have no idea what you did that didn't work, but try again. Check the temperature of the oven. Looks like a fabulous cake.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 12:02pm
post #5 of 10

I have 4 sticks of butter weighing in at 454 grams...so half of that would be 2 sticks of butter = 227 grams.

The recipe called for 250 grams....so maybe you put like an extra tablespoon in there I don't think that effected your outcome.

Check your baking powder maybe it's expired or about to expire.

You could try sifting the flour and use the self rising next try to see if that helps.

It sounds and looks delicious....good luck.

online_annie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
online_annie Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 12:17pm
post #6 of 10

Whan baking from scratch it is extremely important that you follow the recipe to the letter. Self Rising Flour is not that expensive and is availabe everywhere flour is sold. I would suggest trying again with the ingredients required. I would also use an oven thermometer to ensure proper oven temp. Looks yummy.

SandiOh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandiOh Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 12:25pm
post #7 of 10

It looks like a lot of fat and liquid in that recipe to me, I wonder if she halved it and forgot to half the butter?

ZAKIA6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ZAKIA6 Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 12:32pm
post #8 of 10

Helen from tartlette is a very talented pasrty chef and extremely helpful if you post a comment or send her an email. You might want to try that.

nonnyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nonnyscakes Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 1:17pm
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by alicia_froedge

I was making a practice cake for a baking contest and it COMPLETELY flopped!!!!! What did I do wrong... it didn't rise. It had to have been the nastiest thing I have ever tasted!!! I put 2 1/2 sticks of butter in. I tried measuring out in grams...I thought I was right!? And I did the mixture of all purpose with baking powder. Any ideas?? The contest is Thursday!

Butterscotch Mascarpone Cream Layer Cake:

http://www.mytartelette.com/2007/10/waiter-there-is-something-in.html

First, your butter conversion is a bit off.

250 g => 8.8 oz => 17 1/2 Tbsp. => 2 sticks + 1 1/2 Tbsp.

Second, your self-rising to plain flour conversion is off and you didn't add any salt. Here is the standard flour conversion for 1 cup of self-rising flour.

1 c. all purpose flour minus 2 tsp.
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt

I would think that this would work.

1 1/4 c. all purpose flour minus 2 1/2 tsp.
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt

HTH - That cake looks divine. I need to try this recipe myself. Good luck!

lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 1:45pm
post #10 of 10

Self raising flour has never been available here and I've avoided recipes that called for it, like the plague. Thank you for posting a conversion. I might get brave enough to try a recipe.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%