Using Pineapple Filling On Tiered Buttercream Cake

Decorating By alisonvannoy Updated 29 Sep 2009 , 8:27pm by dberck

alisonvannoy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alisonvannoy Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 2:34am
post #1 of 3

I am making my first multi-tiered cake this weekend, using 12, 8 and 6" pans. These white cakes will be covered in buttercream, and filled with a pineapple filling.

The pineapple filling consists of pineapple, cool whip and vanilla pudding with the juice from the pineapple.

I have been told that the pineapple might make the cake unnecessarily moist and it might crumble.

Is there anything that I should do to ensure the structure of the cake does not fall?

2 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 2:56am
post #2 of 3

Cool Whip is non-dairy, but is not shelf stable. Your cake will require refrigeration until it is served (about two hours). Any uneaten cake must be returned to 'fridge.

You could add pineapple preserves to Rich's Bettercreme for a cake filling that will be shelf stable for 5 days.

Your tiered cake will need a support system no matter what filling you use.

Everything you need to know to make, decorate and assemble tiered/stacked/layer cakes:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-6568837.html

HTH

dberck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dberck Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 8:27pm
post #3 of 3

I used this recipe for my son's birthday cake (it was Spongebob so the pineapple went along with the theme) It was great and super easy. His cake was three tiers, 10, 8 & 6.

1/2 c. sugar
1 tbsp. cornstarch
1 tbsp. butter
1 1/2 c. drained, crushed pineapple
Dash salt
Pinch nutmeg

Combine ingredients, cook stirring constantly until thick and clear. Cool before using. It is a wonderful filling or middle for a yellow or white cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%