Yet Another Pricing Question

Business By cgm_cakes Updated 30 Sep 2009 , 4:59pm by prterrell

cgm_cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cgm_cakes Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 10:09pm
post #1 of 12

Hi, Ladies.

I know you probably get tired of "newbies" asking you pricing questions, I just want to make sure my quote isn't "out to lunch" before I send it.

She wants a 4 tier wedding cake to feed 175 people. Brown and white fondant (basic design) with gumpaste flowers cascading down one side (picture she sent looks like there would be about 30 flowers).

Based on the serving charts I looked at this would require a 14", 12", 10" and 8" and give a total of 185 servings. I charge $3.50 for fondant ($647.50) plus a flat fee of $50 for all the flowers.

Total cake cost: $697.50 plus delivery.

Does this sound out to lunch? I'll try attaching the picture she sent me.

Thanks for your input.
LL

11 replies
__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 10:23pm
post #2 of 12

196 servings. Need to correct your math and charge appropriately, IF you are going by the chart that 99% of us go by so we don't lose money. Also, is it brown fondant, or chocolate fondant...more for chocolate fondant. I wouldn't touch that for less than $4.50/serving, but it's your call and your profit margin, I can't judge that.

Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 4:53am
post #3 of 12

That is such a gorgeous cake. I would charge about $2,200.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 10:13am
post #4 of 12

8/10/12/14 serves 24/38/56/78 = 196 as Jamie said. My fondant rate is $4.50/serving.

http://www.wilton.com/wedding/wedding-cakes/wedding-cake-data.cfm

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 4:55pm
post #5 of 12

I agree (as usual) withe _Jamie_ and Indydebi, that is a $4.50-$6.00 per serving cake. Current IRS mileage is 58.5 cents per mile.

Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 4:57pm
post #6 of 12

Don't use that mileage chart... It's only for wear and tear on the vehicle. Your time is worth something, too. For in-town deliveries I charge about $75.

SandiOh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandiOh Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 5:04pm
post #7 of 12

I'm sorry I have nothing to say about the price, however Mensch your signature cracks me up. I wonder were you in the medical field at all?

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 5:48pm
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mensch

Don't use that mileage chart... It's only for wear and tear on the vehicle. Your time is worth something, too. For in-town deliveries I charge about $75.

Absolutely. That is merely a reimbursement for general wear and tear. It does not cover insurance or the payroll (whether it's you pocketing the leftove cash or if it's an actual payroll check) or your lost opportunity cost (while you're driving a delivery van, you're not booking a wedding or baking a cake).

I charge $1.25 per round trip mile, $50 minimum, when outside my standard delivery area.

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 6:11pm
post #9 of 12

My fee for this cake (flowers are inclusive in price) would be $8.75 per serving. This falls under my level 2 decor/151 to 200 servings/fondant Icing price matrix.

So with 196 servings, $1715 base price and $1 per round trip mile for delivery $50 minimum outside my 5 mile radius free delivery area.

snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 10:34pm
post #10 of 12

1200-ish here. 20 miles of delivery included $1 per mile, each way after that.
We use Earlenes chart, which is more generous that the Wilton chart, but our prices start at $5.50 per serving, plus an upcharge for the chocolate fondant, plus $5 per sugar flower ( roses and callas are both pretty easy and there is no painting)

cakesweetiecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesweetiecake Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 2:33am
post #11 of 12

I love these threads!! Very informative!

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 4:59pm
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mensch

Absolutely. That is merely a reimbursement for general wear and tear. It does not cover insurance or the payroll (whether it's you pocketing the leftove cash or if it's an actual payroll check) or your lost opportunity cost (while you're driving a delivery van, you're not booking a wedding or baking a cake).

I charge $1.25 per round trip mile, $50 minimum, when outside my standard delivery area.

Thank you! I did not know that! I thought it included gas and then I would have to add on to that for my time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%