Gelatin Butterflies (A Little Long Review)

Decorating By bakery_chick Updated 16 Jan 2011 , 1:09am by ramsaymo

bakery_chick Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 3:12pm
post #1 of 12

So I had the opportunity to meet Michaelle Stidham at Cake Camp, and I bought the book and the transfer sheets to make the gelatin flowers and butterflies. I was so anxious to play with my new toys that I just made some quick butterflies. Mind you I had very little time to work with this stuff. It was my first time, and I had absolutely no time to add the extra flourishes that really make these butterflies look amazing. That being said, these are AWESOME!!!! I think they look good without the extra work. They were really, really easy and pretty forgiving. How many mistakes did I make... I way overheated the gelatin. It almost boiled out of the pyrex. You can see some air bubbles in the wings. If you take your time, you can get rid of those. I had let the gelatin get a little too cool when I started painting. It was "goopyer" than when Michaelle did them. I forgot to brush egg white on one of my wires and the body fell off. I just stuck him in the buttercream. After all that, I was still pleased with they turn out. My client loved her cake. I highly recommend these. They are just so much fun. Can't wait to take my time with them!
My cake:
LL

11 replies
Auryn Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 3:41pm
post #2 of 12

oohhh wow
those are super pretty.
Does she have a website for her supplies??

If you hadn't mentioned all your oops noone would know, knowing I still can't tell that they arent perfect.

bakery_chick Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 3:44pm
post #3 of 12

Her supplies are sold on several website but www.cakeconnection.com is the most direct.

Loucinda Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 3:48pm
post #4 of 12

Here is a link to the posts on how to do the butterflies/bows/flowers out of gelatin - they are gorgrous!!

Nice job bakerychick!

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-630413.html

Rylan Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 7:23pm
post #5 of 12

Looks great!

alicepin Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 5:23am
post #6 of 12

i was wondering if anyone would tell me how i can make the gelatin butterflies i see there is a step by step for the flower but not for the butterflies there are adorable! OMG i love them!
thank you

Loucinda Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 1:31pm
post #7 of 12

The butterflies are about the same directions. You need to get the butterfly wing sheet from Michaelle & Diane (at cakeconnection dot com) They will send you instructions with the sheet when you order it - and if you have any questions, just ask and you will get help! icon_smile.gif

bobwonderbuns Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 1:45pm
post #8 of 12

Isn't this the greatest technique?? Sooooo much fun!! icon_biggrin.gif

crazydoglady Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 2:17pm
post #9 of 12

off topic but you can also get lots of effects using silpat.
i painted a freeform tornado, added silver disco dust and it was a hit on an "airbender" cake!

alicepin Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 6:24pm
post #10 of 12

thanks soooo much for your reply! i was wondering if you could tell what would be recommend for someone like me new to this cake decorating thing, but i love wedding cakes and fairy tales cakes that's for sure! and elegant as well!

http://www.cakeconnection.com/ez-catalog/X348155/37?layout=system:layout_0100.xsl

the book for sure what else do i need? i want to make lots of flowers and butterflies but unsure of the supplies needed! all the molds say i can make butterflies and flowers but i fail to see it.

which ones should i get to get started?
thanks again!

bobwonderbuns Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 7:26pm
post #11 of 12
ramsaymo Posted 16 Jan 2011 , 1:09am
post #12 of 12

Thank God I only live an hour away from the store. I want to use these things on a cake I'm making this week!....Just found all of this info today!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%