Question For Cake Ball Makers

Decorating By 2SchnauzerLady Updated 8 Oct 2009 , 1:52pm by letsgetcaking

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 2:06pm
post #1 of 11

I have a quick question. I have a singles event this weekend and we have been requested to bring in apple themed food. Has anyone done apple cake balls? If so, what do you use for the cake, etc? TIA

10 replies
jardot22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jardot22 Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 2:11pm
post #2 of 11

You could do apple shaped cake "pops." Bakerella did some really cute ones - they're on her website. You could do spiced apple cake inside of them maybe.

tatorchip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatorchip Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 2:12pm
post #3 of 11

TNTFundraiser, try this site www.bakerella.com click on cake pops HTH

alvarezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alvarezmom Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 2:12pm
post #4 of 11

Maybe you can do white/yellow cake for the inside, and dip the cake balls in red candy melts? You can add a brown stem made from fondant and green leaf from fondant as well. That would look like an apple.

2SchnauzerLady Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 2:54pm
post #5 of 11

Thanks for everyone's help. Those little apple shaped cake pops by bakerella are adorable!

letsgetcaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
letsgetcaking Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 3:00pm
post #6 of 11

I made the apple pops from Bakerella's site. I used my own cake recipe, though, and homemade frosting. I don't use as much frosting as she uses on her site. I usually end up using about 3/4 of what she says, but I would suggest adding just a little frosting (or whatever wet ingredient you're using) at a time to the cake crumbs until it's the consistency of play dough. It will be easier to shape that way.

I used an eggless chocolate cake for the center, just because one of the children eating them has an egg allergy and that's the recipe the mom gave me to use. But, I really like Jardot22's idea of using spiced applecake for the inside.

I used red candy melts for the apple skin, pretzels for the stem, and royal icing for the leaves. If you had a little more time to spend, I think it would be cute to use a white cake for the balls and add a few mini chocolate chips to the inside for the seeds.

2SchnauzerLady Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 3:08pm
post #7 of 11

OOO - I knew I saved those WASC scraps for a reason! I also have mini chocolate chips - Too Cool. Cake balls are new to me. Well, off to Michael's for lollipop sticks and red candy melts! I'll post a pic when I'm done!

letsgetcaking Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 2:05am
post #8 of 11

I can't wait to see them!

letsgetcaking Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 2:05am
post #9 of 11

I can't wait to see them, especially the inside if you're able to get a shot of that!

2SchnauzerLady Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 12:50pm
post #10 of 11

Sorry it took me so long. The cake pops are in my photos. The chips in the center did not turn out - should have just mixed the chips in the whole batch instead of trying the center - the lollipop stick pushed them out of place. I did put in a pic of one cut open. Couldn't do the pretzel sticks for the stem - it caused the pop to slide down the stick because it didn't leave enough cake center to support it.

letsgetcaking Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 1:52pm
post #11 of 11

They turned out really cute! I'm sorry the chocolate chip idea didn't work out. Hopefully they still tasted good. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%