Guitar Cake

Decorating By julitre1 Updated 29 Sep 2009 , 3:38pm by rainbow_kisses

julitre1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julitre1 Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 1:28pm
post #1 of 6

Hello all! I'm making a guitar cake for a friends birthday and would like any tips you can give. ANY tips, from board size to amount of cake mix, fondant or buttercreme, any tips are appreciated. Thank you so much. thumbs_up.gif

5 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 4:52pm
post #2 of 6

is it going to be life sized here's one that I did that was life sized. What I did was draw myself a template on a sheet of paper for the body and neck of the guitar using photos the customer sent me (if you have the real guitar, you could trace it and that would be so much easier)......then I cut out the template and laid it on a 12"x18" cake and cut around it. I used some of the pieces I cut off to form the pointier parts on the body towards the neck (just attached them with icing).....then I made the neck out of a sheet of styrofoam from wal-mart (customer didn't need that much cake) and covered it with fondant.

I used silver thread for the guitar strings, and tied them around silver thumbtacks,then used a huge silver thumbtack for the thing in the back that holds the strap onto the guitar. I made the tuning knobs out of gumpaste attached to toothpicks and used gumpaste to make little screw heads for the body too. (Just forms a small ball of gumpaste, flattened it slightly and then pushed the tip of a philips screwdriver into it to get the impression of a screw head and painted them with silver luster dust.

HTH
LL

julitre1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julitre1 Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 10:18pm
post #3 of 6

thank you so much, your cake is absolutely amazing.

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 2:25pm
post #4 of 6

KHalstead - great cake! Love the slatter icon_smile.gif!

I did like KHalstead, except I made an an acoustic guitar. http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1475298 Traced my son's guitar on paper and then brought to a copy center and reduced to 75%. It was carved from an 11x15. the neck was wood, strings fishing line.

izzy1953 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
izzy1953 Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 2:46pm
post #5 of 6

i have made two...........one acoustic, made from a picture the customer gave me and one electric........made on a wing and a prayer!! lol! my husband has guitars, so i cut both from a template made from tracing around his guitars. both of my necks were made from styrofoam and painted with food coloring and lemon extract. i used a mixture of gumpaste and fondant for the tuning keys and knobs and other accessories. i used silver quilting thread for the strings and royal icing to pipe the lines on the neck and the logo on the guitar. both of mine were covered in fondant and sprayed with wilton color mist (while i secretly wished for an airbrush!) i used two 11 X 15 pans and just cut them to the template.....they were not as hard as i thought they would be to do. you can check out my pictures in my photos. hope this helped some!

rainbow_kisses Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rainbow_kisses Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 3:38pm
post #6 of 6

I too also drew a template fro my guitar (in my photos) mine measured 22" from top to toe and was all cake. used gumpaste for the bits and knobs and fishing wire for the strings.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%