Flying A Tiered Cake (Dummy)

Decorating By Rylan Updated 29 Sep 2009 , 11:41pm by chelleb1974

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 9:37am
post #1 of 14

How can I transport a tiered dummy cake for a competition if the competition is in another state? What if I will be riding the plane? Do I have to purchase a seat just for my cake? I'm thinking of a 5 tier cake.

I sent people cakes with them on a plane but those are just small ones.

13 replies
mommicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommicakes Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 12:57pm
post #2 of 14

I would suggest to you that you either go online and check out the airline website, or give the 800 number a call and actually talk to someone there. Some airlines will let you hand carry a cake on board, but maybe not all of them. Sorry I couldn't help more. Good Luck.

Donna

Rylan Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 7:39pm
post #3 of 14

Thanks Donna, I'll do that.

Gingoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingoodies Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 11:02pm
post #4 of 14

Anything you carry on board the plane must fit either in the overhead compartment or under the seat in front of you. Something as large as a 5 tiered dummy cake would either have to be boxed (REALLY WELL) and sent as baggage or you will have to buy an extra seat for the cake.

Rylan Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 8:01am
post #5 of 14

Thanks Ginny for the info.

d3sc3n7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
d3sc3n7 Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 11:40am
post #6 of 14

"Sorry Ma'am, you cant sit here..thats seat is for my cake...its in the bathroom right now though. Not feeling so well...throwing up BC all over the place"

mommicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommicakes Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 11:42am
post #7 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by d3sc3n7

"Sorry Ma'am, you cant sit here..thats seat is for my cake...its in the bathroom right now though. Not feeling so well...throwing up BC all over the place"

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gifthumbs_up.gif
That is too funny!!!!!
icon_lol.gificon_cry.gificon_lol.gif

Gingoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingoodies Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 11:26pm
post #8 of 14

Also, wrap that cake in a clear box or wrap. Sit it in the seat and you will make LOTS of friends. hahahahah! You will be the talk of the flight Rylan.

Rylan Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 12:18am
post #9 of 14

Hehehe you are all hilarious.

I just called 3 airlines and I have to get a seat for my cake. Doesn't that suck.

Tee-Y Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tee-Y Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 1:15am
post #10 of 14

Beat me to it! icon_lol.gif I was just gonna say make sure you budget for a seat cos there's definitely no way you are flying a 5 tier cake without a seat in my experience icon_lol.gif .

Rylan Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 1:56am
post #11 of 14

Exactly Tee-y. I guess I would have to drive state to state to get my cakes to a competition.

chelleb1974 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelleb1974 Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 4:54pm
post #12 of 14

I would also suggest that if you do buy a seat for your cake, talk to a manager first, then get that manager's name. I have heard of people doing just that (after talking to the ticket agent on the phone), only to be told they couldn't put the cake in the seat. Also call TSA at the airports you will be flying out of, and find out if it has to go through x-ray.

Depending on how far away the competition is, driving is certainly a better option, IMO. Personally, I have driven 9 hours to a competition, but would consider anything up to 3 days, but that's just me. icon_biggrin.gif I have dreams of going to the OK Sugar Art Show some year, and that's 24 hours OF DRIVING from where I live, probably a 2 - 2.5day trip.

~Chelle

Edited to add:

If it's far, it can be a lot of fun to get a bunch of people together that want to go and either rent a big vehicle for the trip, or do it caravan-style with 3 or 4 vehicles. Some of us are trying to plan a trip out to OK, starting with a few cars from New England, and "picking" cars up along the way in PA and such.

Rylan Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 11:28pm
post #13 of 14

Chelle, I'll definitely make sure of that--I was actually thinking that could happen.

I think it is such a great idea to have a bunch of people together. My only problem is that I personally don't know any decorators who are from Las Vegas. I know of 3 but only here on CC. Maybe I should ask them.

Thanks Chelle!

chelleb1974 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelleb1974 Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 11:41pm
post #14 of 14

Most of the decorators I know are from attending ICES meetings in my area. I'm sure there must be some in yours! Asking the people you know on CC is a great idea! I actually went to my first ICES meeting with someone from CC!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%