Disappearing Filling

Decorating By figuje Updated 27 Sep 2009 , 5:09pm by figuje

figuje Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
figuje Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 5:42am
post #1 of 9

I made a cake and piled on the buttercream filling. When the cake was cut, there was hardly any buttercream filling. I was very embarassed. It do happened that was at the party. I heard all night. The cake was good but there was no filling. Does anyone know why this happend?

8 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 6:03am
post #2 of 9

What buttercream recipe did you use? (If you can provide a link to the recipe that would be great. If not, please give the complete recipe name and the site where you found it.)

Do you use a frosting dam:

http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/filling-cake-layers.cfm

What diameter was your cake? How many cups of frosting did you use for filling (or how deep a layer of frosting did you put down)?

HTH

figuje Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 6:11am
post #3 of 9

I used a premade buttercream on a ten inch cake. I don't know how many cups I used. I just put enough to have a thick layer.

JanH Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 6:23am
post #4 of 9

Okay, what brand of RTU buttercream did you use? How big was the container? Did you use the whole container or only a portion?

What do you consider a "thick" layer... 1/4", 1/2"???

Did you use a frosting dam?

Did you frost the cake while it was still hot?

figuje Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 6:40am
post #5 of 9

I don't know what the brand is right now. I bought from my husbands company which sells giant 15 pound tubs to bakeries.bakeries did not put a dam. I would say I put the frosting about 1/2 inch thick.

JanH Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 7:18am
post #6 of 9

Based on the info you've provided, I have no clue why your frosting "disappeared."

JanH Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 7:19am
post #7 of 9

Based on the info you've provided, I have no clue why your frosting "disappeared."

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 12:14pm
post #8 of 9

The only thing I can think of is that the cake layers were still warm when you filled and iced and the icing melted a little and was absorbed like a sponge into the cake itself.

Using a thick icing dam even when filling with buttercream is still a good idea. It allows for a thicker layer of filling and most importantly it will keep the filling where it belongs.

Sorry this happened, but it sounds like everyone still enjoyed the cake.

figuje Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 5:09pm
post #9 of 9

The cakes were cool when I put on my frosting.I alwaysvfreeze my cakes after I make them. Thanks for the responses.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%