How Do You Get A Good Corner On A Square Cake?

Decorating By love2frost Updated 28 Sep 2009 , 10:35am by zdebssweetsj

love2frost Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
love2frost Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 1:24am
post #1 of 6

Do you trim each side of the cake before buttercream and fondant? I've watched some youtube videos on covering a square cake with fondant but I was wondering if anyone had any good tips. Do you freeze the cakes before putting the fondant on? I've only done 1 square cake with fondant and the corners were very rounded. Is almost seemed like the fondant was weighing it down or something. Thanks for any tips!

5 replies
ApplegumKitchen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ApplegumKitchen Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 1:39am
post #2 of 6

The secret to those Planet Cake SUPER SHARP EDGES is the thickness of the fondant (and the perfectly smooth sharp edge ganache underlay icon_biggrin.gif )

If your fondant is any thicker than about 1/8th of an inch you will get rounder edges

I use two large acrylic smoothers as well - one pressing down on the top and one pressing in at the side (with the same amount of pressure) - where they butt up will form a nice sharp edge.

You might try these Prestige sharp edge smoothers

http://www.globalsugarart.com/product.php?id=19558&name=Sharp%20Top%20Edger%20by%20Edgers

I've found these useful for Mini cakes - but still resort to my large smoothers for normal cakes

love2frost Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
love2frost Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 12:38am
post #3 of 6

Do you use MMF?

dorie67 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dorie67 Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 12:55am
post #4 of 6

I recently found that by putting the bc right up to both sides(points) equally that it has helped my square cakes quite a bit, but that edge smoother looks like that will help the rest of the way! princess.gif

ApplegumKitchen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ApplegumKitchen Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 1:50am
post #5 of 6

No, I don't use MMF - I use Bakels prepared Pettinice Fondant

zdebssweetsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zdebssweetsj Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 10:35am
post #6 of 6

You might want to try Susan Zambito DVD it's realy good takes you thru it step by step.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%