Best Way To Make Silver Fondant

Decorating By young9 Updated 27 Sep 2009 , 4:25pm by chilz822

young9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
young9 Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 9:34pm
post #1 of 5

i'm making my first ever wedding cake and the bride chose the design that i've uploaded a picture of however she requested that the hearts be silver. how would be the best way of going about the silver? should i use some silver luster dust and paint it on or use silver leaf? i've never used any sort of luster dust or pearl dust or anything like that so any info of any kind would be helpful. she also wants 2 sheet cakes decorated in the same manner. my other question is..how much would you all charge for all of these cakes? the 3 tiers will be 6" 9" and 12"
thanks a bunch!
LL

4 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 9:41pm
post #2 of 5

Make an edible paint by mixing silver luster dust and clear alcohol (vodka/everclear or clear vanilla or lemon extract) and paint that onto the fondant.

sew4children Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sew4children Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 9:46pm
post #3 of 5

I paint fondant with luster dust and vodka. Depending on the depth of silver you want, you can use white/black or various depths of gray fondant.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 4:24am
post #4 of 5

Try mixing some silver dust with silver airbrush colors.

chilz822 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chilz822 Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 4:25pm
post #5 of 5

There's also an edible silver glaze that I use, I've found it on f o n d a n t s o u r c e .com and on CK (they also have gold and pearl glazes)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%